Need Advise

NYCAnalyst86 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For a quant role he would need to get a masters in > Math. Finance, or something of the sort. To get > into these top schools you 770+ on the Math > portion of the GRE, C++ skills, courses in Linear > Algebra, Differential Equations, Multivariate > Calculus, etc. um yes, if he has an affinity for math getting 770+ on the GRE will be laughable. > > For corporate finance, he needs to go to a top MBA > school. Not an EMBA school. Why would an MBA > school accept him if he already has an MBA? i’d advise against getting an MBA and agree with this, but look into a CFA or MFE, again, I dont know what he wants to get into because he didnt specify. > Either way you look at it, he would need another > masters degree, and be about 36 years old once he > graduates. And “Panic! At the CFA” was right about > the CFA. Why would it help him? On his resume? He > needs 4 years of experience (even that’s debatable > - he works in Ops for a Manufacturing company), by > that time he’s 37, he applies, goes to MBA school > (again), and is a 40 year old applying for > associate positions? Let’s get real. I’d like to > be the shortstop of the New York Yankees but there > were decisions I made when I was 12 that prevent > me from doing so now, as well as some guy named > Derek Jeter. i suspected you were probably a spastic with zero athletic talent from the get go, so no worries > > And then once he goes to school, he needs to > convince firms why they should hire him over a > younger candidate from the same school. Hell, > he’ll probably be older than the folks that would > be interviewing him. yes and this is the challenge he will have to face, nobody said it was easy, but if he is miserable in his current role, and has an area of finance that he is passionate about, then I dont see what the issue is. Networking is obviously your best tool in this current market, use it to your advantage if you have any contacts or a strong alumni network at Thunderbird. Good luck and go with your heart. I’m out of this negative thread.

First of all ***A CFA WILL NOT GET YOU INTO INVESTMENT BANKING \ CORPORATE FINANCE*** I use those terms interchangeably, but I’m not sure how many times this has been said in this forum. Maybe people are in their own little world and don’t listen. Networking and a top MBA are much better tools. So if he gets a CFA, fine, but it won’t get him into corporate finance. And for your information, I ran track at the NCAA level so I’m pretty sure you’re wrong on both counts buddy.

^^ this is advice from a fresh 23-year old pimple face college graduate who ran track. take it with a grain of salt.

It’s ok dude, I know that you are trying to complete the CFA and then automatically become some hot-shot I-Banker. Forgive me for trying to rain on your pipe dream.

NYCAnalyst86 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s ok dude, I know that you are trying to > complete the CFA and then automatically become > some hot-shot I-Banker. Forgive me for trying to > rain on your pipe dream. you got me all figured out braah, man I cant wait to get my CFA to show those I-bankers who’s boss. but being a d*ck to the OP is not a cool thing to do and trying to exact your negativity on this board is not cool either, but I wish you all the best despite your insecurities.

NYCA’s comments are harsh but some what correct. EMBA is expensive than general MBA and people don’t go to EMBA for career change. Hey you (I passed level I so I am a bigshot) - suppose you are a MD in some BB and interviewing for a VP position, will you hire Jkapoor as a VP even though he doesn’t have the relevant experience which you are looking for and also doesn’t have the contacts where he can go and pitch M&A activities. He might get a job on his exp to some PE firm focusing his current industry but which PE firm will give a chance to a thunderbird graduate. CFA won’t give him anything beside possibly divorce and hatred from his kids at this age as CFA asks for commitment.

What does moving into “finance” mean? Does back office in a bank count? If so, you have a shot. If you want to become an investment banker, I would have to agree with NYCAnalyst86 on this one. I cannot imagine someone from operations in another industry moving into a front office job in this environment without a degree from a prestigious university. Maybe you will make it, but most likely you will not - you’ll end up wasting time and resources on further education that will not benefit you and that will set back your current career. If you look up my previous posts, you will conclude that I rarely give discouraging opinions. In this case, however, I must advise you to look elsewhere. Sorry, but Wall Street is not for you.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What does moving into “finance” mean? Does back > office in a bank count? If so, you have a shot. I think this is what we need to know before we make an honest opinion or before NYCRACISTTRACKSTAR gets alpha on us again?

I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > you got me all figured out braah, man I cant wait > to get my CFA to show those I-bankers who’s boss. > but being a d*ck to the OP is not a cool thing to > do and trying to exact your negativity on this > board is not cool either, but I wish you all the > best despite your insecurities. I appreciate his frankness, actually. You’re in finance (or are trying to get a job in finance). Get used to dealing with @ssholes and harsh truth.

This whole thread is just a huge ball of angst. Come on people, group hug??

Sure. Actually this leads to another related question I have. When does everyone think it’s time to “hang up the jersey” so to speak? At what age do you think that if, you aren’t where you want to be, it’s too late to be switching fields to get there? And for sake of argument let’s just say that Front Office is where you are aiming for. (pretend you aren’t there if you already are)

NYCAnalyst86 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sure. > > Actually this leads to another related question I > have. > > When does everyone think it’s time to “hang up the > jersey” so to speak? At what age do you think that > if, you aren’t where you want to be, it’s too late > to be switching fields to get there? And for sake > of argument let’s just say that Front Office is > where you are aiming for. (pretend you aren’t > there if you already are) I would say 32 then look for HF/PE still not happening then work in your industry and try for promotion

Guys, thanks. I am passionate about Finance and would like to transition to Finance, but , do not plan to take a huge pay cut and start at an entry level position. I would like to know which positions in the Finance industry would allow me to leverage my experience in Electronic Manufacturing industry. I have pretty global Manufacturing experience having worked in China, Mexico, India, & US. I personally like Corporate Finance even if its in the manufacturing industry. I also like Private Equity Firms, but, do understand that these firms will look for MBA from Top B School. Since I already have a MBA, I agree that admission into Top B School is not possible and that’s why I am thinking of EMBA. Any thoughts on how to make make inroads into PE Firms, Corporate Finance (Manufacturing),…or other Finance positions that would utilize my skill sets from Manufacturing?

If you don’t want to get an MBA (EMBA doesn’t count) and won’t take a pay cut, then there are no positions that you would be a good fit for. Sorry, but it’s time to hang it up.

I don’t comment much on non-core (not LOS related) CFA topics, but the original poster’s query seems a bit odd to me, not to mention that some of the responses are just plain laughable. If you are a level of Op VP of a Fortune 500 in the category you describe - why would you want to even try to get an opinion in a public forum - surely, you must have some contacts with some genuine credentials that you can network with? Seriously, take any opinions on a public forum with a grain of salt and should not be used as any means in making a career move. At least, I hope not. It is very unlikely that you will get an impartial opinion here, unless you know someone very very well. But, if you must - a few opinions below… Look, the truth is if you are a star in your industry, have above average analytical skills, your financial acumen is second to none, and you are able to cruise through CFA I have no doubt that through the proper networking channels at Thunderbird and your industry you should be able to find something in the vicinity of what you are looking for. Mind you though, the sell side, which I think you want to get into, will be extremely difficult (not impossible) to get in at this stage, but the buy side should be fine. If sell side is what you are really after there is some degree of risk that you may not get in, so weigh your options with your contacts. There are many strategies, i.e. being realistic in your transition and looking outside the bulge bracket - boutiques for example. Expect some downward salary adjustments, something you will have to live with unfortunately if you are keen in taking a salary of a 2-3 yrs exp analyst/associate in finance (interest which obviously outweighs your current line of work). If your interest is in buy side however read on… One of the advantages that you have is the work exp in your industry - you can use that as a way to get in as an analyst (more relevant for a buy side firm as opposed to sell side). Most important for a firm is the overall value that you can bring in, the depth of industry knowledge, your network of contacts, managerial skills, etc. A top university degree or being younger than 33 does not beat any of this valuable experience any day for a buy side analyst. There are a handful of buy side investment mgrs out there with some mediocre degrees/universities but hell of a track record. My advice for buy side transition: network via your industry and Thunderbird contacts, and forget the MBA. And do the CFA. And if you are keen on sell side, you will need to weigh your options with your trusting contacts - do what they tell you. Good luck.

Sujan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t comment much on non-core (not LOS related) > CFA topics, but the original poster’s query seems > a bit odd to me, not to mention that some of the > responses are just plain laughable. > > If you are a level of Op VP of a Fortune 500 in > the category you describe - why would you want to > even try to get an opinion in a public forum - > surely, you must have some contacts with some > genuine credentials that you can network with? > Seriously, take any opinions on a public forum > with a grain of salt and should not be used as any > means in making a career move. At least, I hope > not. It is very unlikely that you will get an > impartial opinion here, unless you know someone > very very well. But, if you must - a few opinions > below… > > Look, the truth is if you are a star in your > industry, have above average analytical skills, > your financial acumen is second to none, and you > are able to cruise through CFA I have no doubt > that through the proper networking channels at > Thunderbird and your industry you should be able > to find something in the vicinity of what you are > looking for. Mind you though, the sell side, which > I think you want to get into, will be extremely > difficult (not impossible) to get in at this > stage, but the buy side should be fine. If sell > side is what you are really after there is some > degree of risk that you may not get in, so weigh > your options with your contacts. There are many > strategies, i.e. being realistic in your > transition and looking outside the bulge bracket - > boutiques for example. Expect some downward salary > adjustments, something you will have to live with > unfortunately if you are keen in taking a salary > of a 2-3 yrs exp analyst/associate in finance > (interest which obviously outweighs your current > line of work). > > If your interest is in buy side however read > on… > > One of the advantages that you have is the work > exp in your industry - you can use that as a way > to get in as an analyst (more relevant for a buy > side firm as opposed to sell side). Most important > for a firm is the overall value that you can bring > in, the depth of industry knowledge, your network > of contacts, managerial skills, etc. A top > university degree or being younger than 33 does > not beat any of this valuable experience any day > for a buy side analyst. There are a handful of buy > side investment mgrs out there with some mediocre > degrees/universities but hell of a track record. > > My advice for buy side transition: network via > your industry and Thunderbird contacts, and forget > the MBA. And do the CFA. > > And if you are keen on sell side, you will need to > weigh your options with your trusting contacts - > do what they tell you. > > Good luck. this is beautiful advice, i just dont have the time to go back and forth with the NYCDouchebag. Keep hope alive and remember the"Haters, they gonna Hate"