Need guidance for a career in FP&A

I don’t like my KPO IB job and most jobs in the finance sector in India are in back end offices. So how do I make the switch? I’m open to other domains of Finance as well. The issue is, I don’t stand a chance for MBA abroad since I’m just 22 with 6 months of work experience. Would an MSc. in Finance open up better job opportunities for me (and MSc. programs aren’t as particular about work experience as MBA programs) ?

Haha yeah you read my situation right. So how do you suggest I go about getting out of this KPO? An MBA requires work experience but that means spending more time in this shithole !

Yeah that could be a way out, didn’t realize you are in IB back office. My friend did a masters in the US and got H1B sponsorship at a financial institution shortly after. Just make sure you apply to a good one, not one of those money grabber programs.

Haha yeah the circle jerk game is strong ! None of the replies seem to address my doubt. Same thing happened on my last thread too ! Do you have any suggestions?

Haha yeah you read my situation right. So how do you suggest I go about getting out of this KPO? An MBA requires work experience but that means spending more time in this shithole !

What could be a way out? MSc. in Finance?

Look up his firm’s Form ADV and see how much AUM they had in 2016. Updated form ADVs are due by end of this month so most are rolling them in by now. 300mm fund would have ~5 people including front, and back office. He probably charges 2% mgmt fees and 15%-20% incentive fees…the net payout on the most senior analyst(s), director level (whether front office or back), and C suite executives are all pre set usually by the CFO and agreed by the founder. Firms like this usually have a base of around 150 or 175k max and resort to bonuses from incentives. just from the mgmt fees he would be making few millions if his fund has 300mm. From my experience firms of this size are really nice…Not a lot of people and the fund is nimble to move around. Bonuses can be very big on good years.

Nothing came up at the SEC adviser search. There are some form D’s floating around but on them he put “Decline to disclose” for the NAV when ranges were given. 300MM would be at the high end of the range I think based on what former colleagues have told me. I’d try to go work for him if I didn’t want to re-locate.

If he has outside money then he must disclose his AUM and RAUM amount in the Form ADV along with the # of employees, ownership structure of the fund, and the fund structure.

Anyways, sounds like a great place to work. You could grow with the fund and if the fund become a multi billion dollar fund maybe by then you could start one yourself…Lots of coulds and ifs but just saying.

Fantasy for the situation, not doubting your figures. Going from KPO Back Office to hedgie CFO is a bit of a stretch.

OP, you’re going to have to grind it through and keep proving yourself in progressive roles. Figure out what you want to do by year 2, start building your samples etc as soon as you know, then by year 3 start looking at grad schools in the US. have your CFA done by then and start preparing for GMAT. You need 4x Saturn V rockets to break out of that gravity well. Keep your head down, no whining, and moving toward the goal for the next 4 years. You spend the effort now and work in a sheethole for 4 years, or you b*tch and work in the sheethole for the rest of your life.

KPO to CFO > UTSA MBA > CFA > Harvard Business School > CAIA > Indian CA

New standard has been created.

HAHA I like the standard. I am really tempted to make a flow chart.

Agree to some extent. I think FP&A can be a very difficult career to break out of to FO roles.

That said, it still is a decent skill to have at the company level and I could see some strong benefits as it can greatly improve your decision making with large investments. Said differently, there is often an added level of detail (e.g. KPIs, processes, etc…) behind the scenes that us analysts often don’t have access to, overlook, or simply don’t understand (unlikely to be difficult, but just that we haven’t seen before). If you’re just doing broad public investing, then FP&A probably isn’t that useful. But if you’re in PE and/or have a very concentrated public portfolio (5-10 investments at 5%+ the O/S) then FP&A skills become very necessary and a standard public securities analysts will lack that experience. In PE for example, you might be required to become an interim CFO.