need some advice

And I dont mean to imply the underlying isnt true, that a lot of the team lead, etc dont make as much as you would think. I think Audit is about the worst trade off at every level (you could get more elsewhere for less money and I dont think most people really like the work). That is why I left audit. Since I have my own business and charity work on the side it didnt make sense to have such an hour intensive job that didnt compensate for taking away the other things.

Think about what you really want to do in life and keep working toward it. Sure that sounds generic, but if you keep just going to the next gig that seems a little bet better than where you are, you will find yourself on an endless loop of working for other people and their rules. I’m saying this because after 3 years of toil and concentrated effort on passing the CFA exam, I thought to myself if I devoted that much time and effort on establishing my own business in any field, I’d probably be much better off financially and doing exactly what I decided to do, as opposed to just pursuing a designation that may put some more money in pockets. Be honest with yourself… if you had to sit down and write out what you really wanted to do, would you say an operations manager at a company? Would anybody? Would you say I want to have an MBA or CFA designation? Maybe. What do really want? Or at least what do you think you might want? Maybe go take another job if it sounds more interesting than the current gig, but all the while don’t lose sight of what you want to do with your life while in the new position. That will make your days more bearable and you will eventually figure out what you want to do and you will go for it.

Profit sharing doesn’t count as compensation. The amount is limited to a rounding error, vests over like 82 years, and you can’t touch it without penalty until you’re on your deathbed. I don’t even count my profit sharing income as part of my net worth because I’m pretty sure I will have jumped to another 3-4 jobs before it vests.

You must have missed my other statement, even WITHOUT THAT, my statement stands true…he is getting screwed.

I don’t disagree with that. Most people with “manager” titles outside of Wall Street are not making what you expect manager-type money to be.

jimmylegs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Think about what you really want to do in life and > keep working toward it. Sure that sounds generic, > but if you keep just going to the next gig that > seems a little bet better than where you are, you > will find yourself on an endless loop of working > for other people and their rules. > > I’m saying this because after 3 years of toil and > concentrated effort on passing the CFA exam, I > thought to myself if I devoted that much time and > effort on establishing my own business in any > field, I’d probably be much better off financially > and doing exactly what I decided to do, as opposed > to just pursuing a designation that may put some > more money in pockets. > > Be honest with yourself… if you had to sit down > and write out what you really wanted to do, would > you say an operations manager at a company? Would > anybody? Would you say I want to have an MBA or > CFA designation? Maybe. What do really want? Or > at least what do you think you might want? Maybe > go take another job if it sounds more interesting > than the current gig, but all the while don’t lose > sight of what you want to do with your life while > in the new position. That will make your days > more bearable and you will eventually figure out > what you want to do and you will go for it. very good advice methinks

thanx all for your inputs

hey priyanka … u based in mumbai by any chance?

JRS130 - I did the exact same thing as you! I am going after the CFA (not very quickly it seems) b/c I am not sure what is really left on the sell side in FI. Thinking buy side is better for the future with how electronic things have become. Priyanka, I went from back office to being a sales asst. There have been plenty of opportunities to go into retail, but I am in institutional and really like it. I know people say “once an SA, always an SA” but it might be a small stepping stone that is an easier move out of ops. I have learned a ton being an asst. and am ready to move on but it seems I need the CFA to get a leg up. I wish I would have started on it a few years ago.

equity_research_nds --No, I am not…why do you ask? JRS130–so how did the transition happen? Was it internal?