Negative Impact on Candidate after failing L1 TWICE

Some of the MBA and CFA debate is misguided here. Simply put: they don’t target the same careers. Of course there are peopel with both types of degrees in all finance jobs… but CFA is more valued at AM and ER. and an MBA is more valued in IB and PE.

That’s what I read from book and the website: mergerinquisition that MBA is more valued in IB, PE/VC or even M&A, but CFA is more PM and ER. I don’t know what really is out there so I asked a couple of people. They can only speak for their careers so far, but the conclusion is

Some can possibly switch careers by passing all levels of CFA but not an easy task at all

Some say MBA is a safer bet although CFA & MBA lead to different careers, but once I have a job in the finance industry, then I can decide whether to go for the Certification (although it might be too late for someone at my age)

Thanks again for your opinion :slight_smile:

I did think why I want to go the 2nd attempt. When I signed up back in March. I thought I can do this. What I told myself was regardless I make the career change, passing CFA L1 is good as I can have confidence myself and I acquire the knowledge which you never when you can use it.

But after the final review class, I know I am not ready. I can force myself to go write the exam, but failing it won’t do me any good either as this is the 2nd time. I know what it is like…

Anyway, thanks for your comments

Thanks NaNa. I know MBA is totally different from CFA. MBA is a well-rounded Business Degree and CFA is a certification exam. Either way, I want to make the career change and my interests are in ER, PE/VC, IB and M&A, but I only know what they are through reading a few articles and this book about careers in Bay Street / Wall Street.

That’s why I mentioned both because to my knowledge, those are two possible ways to get my feet in the door.

I have to re-evaluate what it takes and where it will take me if I am going for an MBA.

Thanks a lot for your advice

Another thing to keep in mind is also evaluating what you want to do vs what you are good at.

Sometimes what you want to do may not be what you’re good at, and it’s not somethign other people willing to pay you to do.

For example, i want to be a supermodel and the next gisele, but i am not tall enough and i will never make it.

Certain things you just can’t force it. try your best and if it doesn’t work, try something else.

:slight_smile:

^ Gisele is overrated!

If i wake up tomorrow and look half as hot and rich as she, i wouldn’t mind :slight_smile:

You should aim higher…both in terms of looks and money.

I do’nt think making MORE money than Gisele will make me any happier.

Surely she may not be able to buy a space shuttle like Richard Branson, but she can for sure buy herself a ticket when the space shuttle is built.

When you have that kind of money, you almost don’t need more…

Thanks NaNa for sharing your thoughts. Appreciate it. We have never met, but I am sure have found what is best for yourself and able to retain it… Happy for you

I disagree, the CFA designation will open alot of doors. Ive seen it happen

…Or you can always marry Richard Branson…but for that you have to be hotter than Gisele.

BS. I’ve worked in multiple front office positions in IB,AM, ER at several firms from small to mid to bulge bracket across many many years.

The charter is just icing on a cake. I repeat: Passing these exams will NOT suddenly open doors to a good job.

If you saw someone get a door open, it was 95% his qualifications and 5% the charter at work.

Correction: It was 64% connections/network, 34% qualifications and 2% charter.

I don’t think you have to be hotter than Gisele for that. Once you get to a certain level of physical attractiveness (and the line is is far less than Gisele’s), one’s ability to land someone like Richard Branson has a lot more to do with things like personality, the ability to hold an interesting conversation with the guy (not necessarily meaning intelligence, but that usually helps), and the ability for both partners to imagine a compatible future together.

Thanks Geo, but how did you come up with those percentages?

It was a joke. But it’s not far from the truth. Especially in Canada, where I see you’re from as well. It’s all old boys club here. You want in? Better know someone. Someone ahead of you in line for the spot knows the hiring guy, and he’s probably got equal experience. The Charter doesn’t overcome relationship advantages. And there is always someone with a relationship advantage here. It best be you or you’ll be on the outside looking in.

You’re an engineer (I’m assuming a P.Eng type). There is so much opportunity out there for you, yet you’re looking at an industry in a huge contraction. If you want more business exposure, check out project management opportunities or what not, there is literally insane levels of demand for those skills (also something an MBA would help you out with). Probably better pay, less hours and way more opportunity than finance. Just saying. Maybe that’s not your cup of tea and that’s fine. Just laying out some realism here.

Thanks Geo. Sorry for the late response. I haven’t checked out this conversation as I thought there are no further comments on my question already, but thanks a lot for the information and opinion on what I wish for.

Sincerely,

K