new WSJ MBA rankings

mlh97 wrote: not talking from experience, but this isn’t necessarily the case. a friend of mine at chicago just finished a semester at lbs and told me that the classes at lbs were definitely inferior to those at chicago. he was actually pretty dissapointed b/c there were several classes at chicago he would have liked to have taken if he didn’t go abroad. he said go for the cultural and not the educational. i’m sure lbs is comparable to a lot of “top 20” schools. what’s interesting about this is that the education is the one thing that most people say will likely be the same regardless of where you go (ie you’ll be learning the same thing at harvard as you do at u of texas, etc). granted this is just one person’s experience comparing two schools, so you don’t know. **Let me clarify: I didn’t mean to imply that some schools aren’t more analytically rigorous than others (Chicago is a clear example of a top-notch analytical program) or generally perceived as being “harder” (meaning more time spent studying). What I’m saying is that generally if you go to a top 10-20 school, perform well, and network, you’re going to have a very good shot at getting the same interviews and general opportunities as your peers at other schools and generally you should come out with the same BASIC level of preparation. Meaning whether you go to Havard, Stanford, Penn, Chicago, Columbia, MIT, Dartmouth, Northwestern, California, Yale, Virginia, Yale, Michigan, UCLA, etc doesn’t really affect your access to the same quality of instruction or post-graduate opportunity. Sure, some schools are harder, some have more “name cache”, and some are preferred by certain segments of recruiters (finance, marketing, tech, etc.), but the basic curriculum and networking will give you close to the same bang for the buck. Basically, it is what you make of it…like anything else involving school, work, or life. Zigy wrote: Well…I just hope some people care about “Regional” schools. **Of course they do. The article clearly mentions how many strong companies cannot fill their MBA quotas. There simply are not enough HBS/Wharton/Stanford grads to go around, and many quality spots still have to be filled. A good regional school will be able to land people some very good jobs within a particular geographic region or industry. I’d bet 80% on this board hasn’t heard of Babson, but if you want to work in Boston and you have an entreprenuriel bent, then you’re going to get just as many looks coming out of there as you would from Michigan or UCLA. Likewise, if you’re coming out of Pepperdine you’re going to get interviews in California that someone from Virginia or Cornell might not get (or you’d be on equal footing at least). Despite all this telecommunicating “crap”, geography still matters and companies will always (for the foreseeable future at least) recruit in their backyards to some degree. kkent wrote: DirtyZ, even if it’s just base, it still shows that total comp has stagnated (if base is 100k, total average comp probably isn’t much greater than 120k). **It looks to be just base, because I remember total comp from most of these schools being substantially (15-25%) higher a few years back. What people fail to realize is that these averages are actually “dragged down” by many career switchers or people that don’t want to work on Wall St. The typical “Wall St. grad” (meaning they worked on Wall St. before and are going back) I’d expect to be making 200k +. You have to remember most of those from Wall St. that go back to get an MBA are already making 100-200k (or more). wegowayback wrote: in fairness to the wsj, i remember interviewing for an analyst position in boston at Fidelity a few years back. the gal told me they stopped recruiting out of harvard because they grew sick of the egos. **To add an anecdote to your anecdote: I recently met two people at Fidelity - one of whom was a PM and one of whom was a highly regarded analyst. Guess where they both went to school? Yeah, Harvard Business School.

>Of course they do. The article clearly mentions how many strong companies cannot fill their MBA quotas. Nice to know, since I went to one of them. It has been a while though. Thanks!

I realize Schulich and Ivey have good programs, but I don’t know how they ended up ahead of Harvard, NYU, Wharton

I don’t pay attention to any of this bullsh!t. I’m going to the best MBA program I can get into that has the program that fits me, and is in a metro location, if it’s not on the US news or WSJ list, I’m not concerned. As long as it’s not bottom barrel. I’m concerned with attaining the technical skills I need and some decent networking opportunites, which are relatively abundant at any program located in a major city. I will suceed regardless, because I have the skillset you can’t attain in a classroom to complement book smarts. Streetsmarts goes a long way when weasaling your way into jobs. You can bet your @ss on that one.

Same here Gouman…Duke it is. Willy

Yey Schulich…our Dean could not be happier…that guy lives for rankings!

Yeah i met a guy with a Notre Dame MBA and he was very skeptical of rankings. He was like, right now I landed a job where I am working with people from Duke, Michigan, Columbia, etc…I beat out a guy from MIT for the position. Sure our “lower ranked” program may have less recruiters come but you still can get those interviews, and once you do, it’s pretty much up to your interviewing skills and background then just your school name.

CFAdetroit…That’s basically the point I was trying to make above. You’re going to get many of the same opportunities initially out of many schools and your MBA program is what you make of it. Most of your success will depend less on a name and more on your previous job experience, ability to interview well, personality/cultural fit with the company, etc.

Penelope Trunk, “B-school Confidential: MBAs May Be Obsolete” http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/careerist/47722 … and interesting comments by readers

torontosimpleguy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Penelope Trunk, “B-school Confidential: MBAs May > Be Obsolete” > > http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/careerist/ > 47722 > > … and interesting comments by readers That lady is the biggest tool. That being said, the people posting positive comments are the people jumping off of bridges when you tell 'em to jump.

im very glad you all saw schulich up there, take a good look and spread the word lol :slight_smile:

does anyone know when the FT ranks come out???

I think it’s right before the new year.

I think it’s all stupid. You take a test that you should have been able to pass when you were in eighth grade to go to a school where they give you classes that are watered down from the level usually taught at undergraduate level. Then people who graduate from them get high paying jobs “managing” because they can’t do anything. Oh and they have big student loans. It’s such a weird thing…

Joey - you obviously love teaching since you hang around here so much. Ever get the itch to go back?

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s right before the new year. Im really looking forward to those !

come on joey, that’s not really fair. 1) if the test is that easy, then why is the average score 550? anything below 700 loses competitiveness at the top schools. the GMAT is a hard test. 2) the classes are basically the same. what is the basis for saying they are watered down? 3) who would you rather have managing? other people with little or no management experience AND no MBA? that doesn’t make sense to me. if you don’t like the MBA, fine, but at least give some valid points against it (which I am sure you have), instead of giving poor generalizations. JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s all stupid. You take a test that you > should have been able to pass when you were in > eighth grade to go to a school where they give you > classes that are watered down from the level > usually taught at undergraduate level. Then > people who graduate from them get high paying jobs > “managing” because they can’t do anything. Oh and > they have big student loans. > > It’s such a weird thing…

viktorv Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danteshek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think it’s right before the new year. > > > > Im really looking forward to those ! I think the FT rankings are biased toward some marginal UK schools I’m applying to the following programs: Wharton/Lauder (russia track) - R2 Cornell - R1 LBS - R1 Darden - R1

Danteshek Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > viktorv Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Danteshek Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I think it’s right before the new year. > > > > > > > > Im really looking forward to those ! > > I think the FT rankings are biased toward some > marginal UK schools > > I’m applying to the following programs: > > Wharton/Lauder (russia track) - R2 > Cornell - R1 > LBS - R1 > Darden - R1 sounds good, wats the russia track all aboutt? prog focused on east eu ? I applied to rotman/ schulich in may, and got wait listed as i was so late in applying this year im still on the waiting list on both prog, but i am also now considering nyu stern JD: I agree about the test, that its easy, with prep of course. but I will defend the mba in that its good to get it in the case that you are looking for a career change/trying in to break into something new.

viktorv Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Danteshek Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > viktorv Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Danteshek Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > I think it’s right before the new year. > > > > > > > > > > > > Im really looking forward to those ! > > > > I think the FT rankings are biased toward some > > marginal UK schools > > > > I’m applying to the following programs: > > > > Wharton/Lauder (russia track) - R2 > > Cornell - R1 > > LBS - R1 > > Darden - R1 > > sounds good, wats the russia track all aboutt? > prog focused on east eu ? Yes. The program is an MBA/MA in international studies, and requires that upon entry you have at an “Advanced Mid” OPI rating in one of the languages. The program starts in May with MA courses. The summer is spent doing consulting projects in Kiev, Moscow and St. Pete, and intensive language seminars. Then you start the MBA program at Wharton in the fall. In addition to the MBA courses you have to take MA courses at UPENN and write a thesis in Russia area studies. You cannot graduate from the MA until you achieve a “superior” rating from Language Testing International. This program is not for native speakers. They want the students to improve their language skills to work internationally. I happen to fit the profile they are looking for, in terms of my experience living over there and language skills etc. An applicant with support from the Lauder Institute gets into Wharton most of the time. My goal is to lead international sales for an asset management company or IB.