not the year to graduate with your MBA...

macrie69 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Its not about the fancy degrees or certificates, > its all about the intrinsic attitude/ability of > the person. I mean a lipsticked pig with fancy > makeup is still pork while a 95k nutered stallion > can win the Kentucky Derby. you seem very anti-pork. have you ever tried bacon before? it’ll change your mind.

Bacon literally makes everything taste better. nolabird032 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > macrie69 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Its not about the fancy degrees or > certificates, > > its all about the intrinsic attitude/ability of > > the person. I mean a lipsticked pig with fancy > > makeup is still pork while a 95k nutered > stallion > > can win the Kentucky Derby. > > > you seem very anti-pork. have you ever tried bacon > before? it’ll change your mind.

I’d pick someone with top liberal arts undergrad, top MBA, CFA, and useful/applicable work experience.

Well, you guys can clown it all you want, but I trust what I have seen. My first boss had a highly quantitative degree from a good school, a top 3 MBA and a CFA, and had worked at good firms. He did “everything right” for his resume, and ended up becoming an upper middle manager by the time he was in his early 40s at a brokerage firm. He’s probably worth a couple of million dollars. Not bad. I’m now in my second job, and my current boss has a history degree from a good school and nothing else, and made several hundred million dollars in the stock market by the time he was in his early 40s. These are extreme examples, but most of the people I know in this industry fit near those poles depending on their backgrounds. The second best analyst I know was also a liberal arts major in college. All the worst analysts I know were finance and accounting majors in college. All of them, including some really bad ones that have relevant degrees out the wazoo. Interestingly, a large portion of the Forbes 400 in the finance section have liberal arts degrees (Soros, Icahn, Burton Biggs or whatever his name is, JC Flowers (might not be on the list but still a billionaire), Paulson (although he went to HBS as well, which is probably why he effed up as Treasury Sec), and so on and so on.

Extremely tough year to graduate from b-school. The large majority of people that had top summer internships received a full-time offer, but if you didn’t get an offer you were in serious trouble for FT recruiting. At my school, about 95% of the people that received positions that are typically considered prestigious (BB i-banking/research/S&T, top 5 consulting, etc.) landed them after interning with that company over the summer. FT recruiting was a bloodbath, and most people were unsuccessful in leveraging a nice FT offer into something else.