Numi, welcome back!

How did semester 1 of B School go for you? I’d be interested in hearing your perspective.

Numi, did you really quit your PE job? I thought it was kinda what you’ve been looking for…

Hey Neud and QuantJock_MBA, thanks for asking. First term of business school went pretty well – the thing I like most is being back in an environment where people are as curious about the business world and determined to explore different facets of business as I am. When people say that business school is largely defined by your peers, I can definitely believe it – in a normal everyday environment, you don’t typically meet many people that are equally gung-ho about finding their careers and generally committed to sharing career information as you do in business school. I also really appreciated the opportunities to attend company events and learn about many different industries and functions other than finance. I’ve decided that at least for the summer, I want to look for opportunities in strategy consulting or corporate development. I realized that while I had the functional ability to do some pretty rigorous finance jobs, it’s not really what gets me going in the morning; the things that excite me most are leading people, influencing organizational change, shaping strategy, and so forth. I also have a keen interest in gaining exposure to all facets of a business rather than just the financial/transactional aspects. So, I at least want to spend the summer seeing if I enjoy the work as much as I think I do, but I won’t be surprised if I end up taking off some time from finance. If I *do* go back to finance, it would be in a hedge fund or asset management capacity. Private equity is too process-oriented for me, and I realize I’m good enough at public investing that the scalability of trading publicly-traded securities is a lot more appealing than working on major deals. I was curious about private equity for a while and it was everything I expected it to be, but it was just a matter of my figuring out what really excited me. How are things on your end? Happy holidays to all.

Numi, I hope you beat that Zuckerberg fellow and become the richest man ever to attend Harvard.

^ isn’t Bill Gates richest man ever attend Harvard?

skycfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ isn’t Bill Gates richest man ever attend > Harvard? … for now.

numi, message well taken. Actually, it’s well in line with what you’ve been talking about previously, albeit more up to the point now :slight_smile: With regards to my year - it’s been busy, what else to say :slight_smile: I followed another route - having opted for CFA charter and direct associate promote + lateral move to a top tier bank a few years ago, so now it’s all about working my ass off in order to make it to a VP-level investment banker. If I do it without an MBA, I will no longer need one, ever - now it’s becoming obvious that the more experienced and senior you become, the more emphasis is put on what you can bring to the table, not on where you’ve studied :slight_smile: We will find out quite soon if it works.

Neud Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > numi, message well taken. > Actually, it’s well in line with what you’ve been > talking about previously, albeit more up to the > point now :slight_smile: > > With regards to my year - it’s been busy, what > else to say :slight_smile: I followed another route - having > opted for CFA charter and direct associate promote > + lateral move to a top tier bank a few years ago, > so now it’s all about working my ass off in order > to make it to a VP-level investment banker. If I > do it without an MBA, I will no longer need one, > ever - now it’s becoming obvious that the more > experienced and senior you become, the more > emphasis is put on what you can bring to the > table, not on where you’ve studied :slight_smile: We will find > out quite soon if it works. This is the route that I went as well with regard to CFA and working at some large asset managers and banks. It’s funny, I would like to do the MBA because the experience would be awesome and I think it could help if I want to move into more general management responsibilities down the road. I’m just no longer on an MBA track and can’t justify the expense/lost wages/lost work experience when I would probably come out to a similar role (I like my industry). I went to a good but non H/S/W school for undergrad on full scholarship, so maybe I just subliminally want the brand name and prestige.