Oh dear... all my calories in ONE meal...

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Just work out more and keep eating delicious > lamb > > and rice platters! Honestly, I love eating and > > that love for stuffing my gullet (sp?) is one > of > > the main reasons I work out pretty hard several > > times a week. I can’t give up the food! > > > Ditto what Brain_wash and others have said. I > don’t have a problem with working out hard a few > times a week if the trade off is that I can eat a > freakin’ ton of french fries and ice cream when I > feel like it. This is one of those myths that makes people fat eventually. It’s really easy to overestimate how many calories you burn working out for an hour vs. how many you consume eating a “freakin’ ton of french fries and ice cream…”

FreeRider Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is one of those myths that makes people fat > eventually. It’s really easy to overestimate how > many calories you burn working out for an hour vs. > how many you consume eating a “freakin’ ton of > french fries and ice cream…” Obviously balance is key. The average person cannot exercise away a fast food and sweets based diet. I probably eat too much (like, way too much) a few times a week and eat healthy besides that (veggies, meat, fruit, healthy fats) and work out four to five times a week for an hour at a time. When I work out, I work out hard though…none of this go for a five mile light run or do circuit training and then call it a day stuff. When I work out, I ususually want to operate at red line a good amount, which I think makes a difference compared to when I used to just go out an run at a moderate pace for an hour.

^ Agreed, pace is a HUGE difference. Granted, I run a casual pace, but then again, I also never go out for less than 10M

Most people are ignorant when it comes to how many calories they are actually eating so it’s nice to see someone researching the macronutrient content of their food. Weighing what you eat would be the next step, if only for a few days to really get a sense of how many calories are being consumed. Although I will say that ignorance can be bliss when it comes to some of this stuff :slight_smile:

Yes, like economists, it seems that the rule is you can state a clear calorie count or a clear serving size, but it’s important not to state them together (even if the gov’t tries to get you to do it).

FreeRider Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most people are ignorant when it comes to how many > calories they are actually eating so it’s nice to > see someone researching the macronutrient content > of their food. Weighing what you eat would be the > next step, if only for a few days to really get a > sense of how many calories are being consumed. > Although I will say that ignorance can be bliss > when it comes to some of this stuff :slight_smile: They’re even more ignorant of how many calories they’re drinking.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes, like economists, it seems that the rule is > you can state a clear calorie count or a clear > serving size, but it’s important not to state them > together (even if the gov’t tries to get you to do > it). I love when you look at a can of soup or something like that and it says 2.5 servings per container. Who in the heck eats 40% of a can of soup at a time?

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bchadwick Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Yes, like economists, it seems that the rule is > > you can state a clear calorie count or a clear > > serving size, but it’s important not to state > them > > together (even if the gov’t tries to get you to > do > > it). > > > I love when you look at a can of soup or something > like that and it says 2.5 servings per container. > Who in the heck eats 40% of a can of soup at a > time? Or items that say “About 2.5 servings.” You really wonder if they’ve programmed the machines to deliver 2.74 servings so that they can round down.

What is a “serving” anyway?

The size of a serving is arbitrary but it’s the amount of the food that will equal the calories listed on the package. The problem is, the serving size used to report calories is usually much less than an average person would eat. I wish I could remember the circumstances but there was a cereal that wanted to fall within some new nutritional guideline that was published. Instead of removing some sugar from their product to reduce calories, they simply reduced the serving size reported on the box to meet the cut.

Actually bodybuilders’ consensus is that for losing/maintaining weight, exercise is only 25 % of the deal, 75% is a proper diet. Their diet is pretty strict too, not only calorie count, but also balance of protein/carbohydrates/fat for each meal separately, and it differs depending on time of the day, and water consumption, and that’s the maintenance diet.

Pho soup is high in calories? you gotta be kidding

Quick digression - I was on line at one of these fine halal truck establishments the other day and the lady behind me in line asked the gentleman working in the truck if he had any ‘low carb’ options. The guy looked at her like she had three heads. It took everything I had to not starting laughing in her face.

I’ve seen carts that offer meat over lettuce. Doesn’t sound as tasty, but that probably would do the trick for the low carb people.

I’ve been eating burgers and such (mostly chicken), that i do on my bbq, on iceberg lettuce. I must say, I don’t miss the bun anymore.

i do the same. open face sandwiches rock and its a great way to cut some unwanted calories in summer.

Do you have gummy bears? I love gummy bears!!!