"Passed all 3 all levels on first attempt" Does it matter?

Having the C.F.A. guarantees you superior returns.

I dont he/she meant superior return from a market perspective. I think it was meant as far as executing on job tasks.

Why would it matter to any employer? Candidates who passed in consecutive years aren’t any better than those who have failed. You are interpreting the CFA to be some type of IQ test, which it is not.

Sure, it proves you likely have time discipline and can memorize. Those things are expected in the marketplace, they aren’t differentiating factors. And I also think you’re placing the CFA curriculum on a pedestal. A lot of what the CFA teaches is, at best, overly academic and, at worst, completely irrelevant. Mastering this material doesn’t privilege you versus job applicants with work experience.

Good for you. Some people simply can’t afford to allocate 2 hrs every day to study CFA material. It’s not an indictment of their character or intellectual abilities.

You failed a level didn’t you? You seem very sour towards this and appear to be taking very personally. Firstly, you are categorizing “passing on the first attempt” with “passing in consecutive years” when they are different buckets. I can pass on my first attempts by taking Li in 2010, Lii in 2012 and Liii in 2016. I did happen to take them consecutively but thats not what the OP was asking. I agree it is academic in nature, I wish it was more practice based but successful people start by learning the academics of any job and then applying them. You need to learn before you can apply.

“It’s not an indictment of their character or intellectual abilities.” Or maybe it is? How do you know that? Like I said, maybe you failed one and are taking it personally trying to defend yourself?

Says the person who tracked me down from a thread in another forum . . . just to reply to one of my comments in this forum . . . with a temperamental wall of text . . . finished off with passive aggressive allegations . . .

But sure, I’m the one taking this personally lol

The CFA has little overlap with what people in finance actually do on the job, so mastery of the material is no indication of career success.

Because the CFA isn’t an IQ test, it’s a series of memorization and regurgitation exams that anyone can pass with enough study time. I’ve passed all my exams in consecutive years, but know many people who have failed simply because they work 80+ hour weeks or experience elevated deal activity in April and May.

Hate to break it to you kid, but you’re not special.

For the first question, I think employers should not care whether you passed all the exams on your first try or not. In practice, I think this information can impress a little (just a little) the employers.

For the second question, if you want to include this information on your resume, do it. But you must prove all what you said on your resume is true. If the fact you are CFA Charterholder can be verified by public information (via https://www.cfainstitute.org ), the fact that you passed all three levels on the first attempt can not be verified by public information. So, you should follow the 4 steps below

• Step 1: Connect to your account and go to this linkhttps://www.cfainstitute.org/account/programs/Pages/index.aspx
  • Step 2: Click on View your curriculum redemption or tracking codes in Your CFA® Program
  • Step 3: The page shows all level exams registered. Take a capture of screen
  • Step 4: Print out the capture. It will be your certificate of "passing all three levels on the first attempt"

Show you certificate whenever you say you pass all levels on the first attempt. And if I were your interviewer or your boss, I would try to ask you this certificate sooner or later.

see below

Ultimately, every exam can be mastered with enough practice. Tell me one exam where you do not need to memorize anything? Working 80+ hours is undoubtedly very demanding and means you need to start earlier than others to have a chance. It also means you have a greater obstacle to overcome and need to plan and figure out how to jump over it.

Running out of time is a bit of an excuse. You need to plan well in advance and take into consideration working hours as well as personal circumstances.

The CFA test is tough my friend. And if you have the intelligence of a potato, you are not going to make it.

Pierre, I’ve always admired your rigour.

:wink:, I think people must check carefully this information for the good of the CFA Charterholders who really archived something interesting (pass all 3 levels in 18 months, pass all 3 levels on the first attempt, pass the level 3 on the first attempt or even pass the level 1 on the first attempt,…).

Why? Because if this information is unverified, anyone can lie and say he/she passed all 3 levels on the first attempt. And it’s bad.

Be careful. Saying this may suggest you skipped ethics and land you with a violation.