Passed L3 with no finance experience. Anyone else?

Dax2IB Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > charu_mulye Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > “Business Analyst” in financial software is the > > only job that immediately comes to my mind, but > > CFA is over qualification for that profile. > > > > You could network a lot and transition to > business > > side eventually. > > > > I have not done it, but this could be done. > Even > > I have 6 years of experience in Financial > software > > and passed CFA level 2 in June’ 09. > > > > Any other ideas for CFA + IT? > > > Hello Swap, Newbie, Prashant and others who are in > IT and willing to make a move to finance. > > I am also on the same boat. I passed Level 2, > have 2+ experience in IT, which has 6 months on > .NET technologies and 1.5+ years as a functional > consultant for an ERP Product, with a competence > in financial management modules. > > My role primely involves interacting with the > business users of corporate finance division of > our prospects and clients, understand their needs > and configure\Customize our ERP product > accordingly. I had to understand the accounting > stuff, treasury management, Processes related to > payables, receivables and MIS reports. > > I started sending out my resumes to all my friends > in my network, job-sites and company specific > careers portals the moment after i passed my Level > 2. I applied to only those which are recruiting, > but there was not a single call till now and i got > 2 rejects too citing tech background as the > reason. This happened inspite of drafting my > resume in such a way that it did not sound > technical. Its so true, that CFA wont open the > doors, unless you are lucky. It just acts as a > differentiating factor as some people said. > > Yesterday, i met a person from my company, he is > the VP of capital markets division and is > responsible for the project delivery to few > important accounts. I approached him asking for > the role of Business Analyst for that > Vertical.After a long discussion, He just asked me > one question. > > 1) Do i want to shift my career to some role in > financial markets. > > I said Yes, then he replied saying that this is > not the right place for me. He cited that we are > the technology solution providers for the players > in financial markets say front office/Middle > Office/Back Office operations and the BA role here > is techno functional in nature, and people in that > role have 2-3 years experience in technology > followed by tier 2 MBA degree. They should have > equal levels of expertise in understanding the > business and Technology too. > > Actually in the real time, as what he said, there > is a lot of gap between what BA’s possess and what > clients expect BA’s to possess. If we bridge the > gap with acquiring the skillset, you will have a > unique identity. This is what the GTO (Group > Technology & Operations division) of a renowned > bank was doing. > > These are few of my opinions > > 1) With the tech experience you have,(6+ or > whatever) i believe you might be earning pretty > well. I don’t know if companies will be willing to > pay you that much if you move to an entry level > research analyst post. > > 2) If you love technology, you could even rather > move to the role i had explained above. Down the > line in few years, you will develop a unique blend > of skill set and grow in the technology consulting > for IB’s. It would pay you well and has lot of > potential for growth > > 3) If you love to exclusively work in finance, go > and get an MBA\MFE. > > > Just my 2 cents… > > Here is my ID. shravanjilla@gmail.com. > > The tech fraternity here…you can shoot a > mail…we can discuss any possibilities available. bang on the point beautiful construction of the ideas Im going for option 3…by the way Im already in position (2)…courtsy my MBA…but hate the tech part of my profile…money really doesnt matter… I cant do a work, I dont love, for next 30 years …

I disagree. If I want to be analyst, I WILL be an analyst. If I want to be a portfolio manager, I should do what it takes to be one and so forth. Pave your path to your destiny. Don’t limit your possibilities. Don’t compromise for anything less than what you really want. The what is far more important than the how. Be sure you know the answer to your what question. Then do whatever it takes to acheive it. It ain’t rocket sceience. Just execute. You WILL suceed. I know I will. An important thought on pursuing other degrees to leverage them as career entry points. Is there anything that an MBA/MFE can teach you that you cannot learn by yourself. I doubt it. You came this far on your own. You can do without those degrees and certifications.

For those in IT… My computer got the blue screen this morning. Is there an 800 number that you can be reached at? I need it taken care of ASAP.

Try to make enough money to buy yourself a new computer. For further assistance call 1800 bill gates or 1800 get mac.

Of course, you can learn by yourself. But, in what way, can you prove your knowledge? The important thing is people look for something that is discernible. I spent 5 yrs in studying this and FRM and I can calculate BSOPM, CDS Premium. But it isn’t matter. The Quant/Math folk whom finance field looking for can do all of it much more efficiently. Besides knowledge, what MBA/MFE do is screening and networking which can’t be obtained by CFA charter. I don’t even try a graduate school for economic reason even though I don’t have bachelor degree in finance, economics, accounting and quant etc. If I had chosen that course, probably I would have PH.D in finance and better possibility of entering in it. Despite passing Level 3 this year, that hurts me so much. Anyway, that is my story. Hope your chance to entering in finance.

Dax2IB Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > charu_mulye Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > “Business Analyst” in financial software is the > > only job that immediately comes to my mind, but > > CFA is over qualification for that profile. > > > > You could network a lot and transition to > business > > side eventually. > > > > I have not done it, but this could be done. > Even > > I have 6 years of experience in Financial > software > > and passed CFA level 2 in June’ 09. > > > > Any other ideas for CFA + IT? > > > Hello Swap, Newbie, Prashant and others who are in > IT and willing to make a move to finance. > > I am also on the same boat. I passed Level 2, > have 2+ experience in IT, which has 6 months on > .NET technologies and 1.5+ years as a functional > consultant for an ERP Product, with a competence > in financial management modules. > > My role primely involves interacting with the > business users of corporate finance division of > our prospects and clients, understand their needs > and configure\Customize our ERP product > accordingly. I had to understand the accounting > stuff, treasury management, Processes related to > payables, receivables and MIS reports. > > I started sending out my resumes to all my friends > in my network, job-sites and company specific > careers portals the moment after i passed my Level > 2. I applied to only those which are recruiting, > but there was not a single call till now and i got > 2 rejects too citing tech background as the > reason. This happened inspite of drafting my > resume in such a way that it did not sound > technical. Its so true, that CFA wont open the > doors, unless you are lucky. It just acts as a > differentiating factor as some people said. > > Yesterday, i met a person from my company, he is > the VP of capital markets division and is > responsible for the project delivery to few > important accounts. I approached him asking for > the role of Business Analyst for that > Vertical.After a long discussion, He just asked me > one question. > > 1) Do i want to shift my career to some role in > financial markets. > > I said Yes, then he replied saying that this is > not the right place for me. He cited that we are > the technology solution providers for the players > in financial markets say front office/Middle > Office/Back Office operations and the BA role here > is techno functional in nature, and people in that > role have 2-3 years experience in technology > followed by tier 2 MBA degree. They should have > equal levels of expertise in understanding the > business and Technology too. > > Actually in the real time, as what he said, there > is a lot of gap between what BA’s possess and what > clients expect BA’s to possess. If we bridge the > gap with acquiring the skillset, you will have a > unique identity. This is what the GTO (Group > Technology & Operations division) of a renowned > bank was doing. > > These are few of my opinions > > 1) With the tech experience you have,(6+ or > whatever) i believe you might be earning pretty > well. I don’t know if companies will be willing to > pay you that much if you move to an entry level > research analyst post. > > 2) If you love technology, you could even rather > move to the role i had explained above. Down the > line in few years, you will develop a unique blend > of skill set and grow in the technology consulting > for IB’s. It would pay you well and has lot of > potential for growth > > 3) If you love to exclusively work in finance, go > and get an MBA\MFE. > > > Just my 2 cents… > > Here is my ID. shravanjilla@gmail.com. > > The tech fraternity here…you can shoot a > mail…we can discuss any possibilities available. Hi Guys, Dax, I can almost guess which company are you with. Anyways, my story is similar but not same. I passed L1 and L2 in first sitting. MBA from a good school in India (but unknown in the US). Based in NYC. I am in the sales and marketing function of High end anlaytics and technology for financial institutions. No IT background. I meet senior I-bankers and fund managers on regular basis as they are my potential clients But i don’t have finance background though I am actively involved in personal investments- both Real Estate and Stocks. And I don’t think that matters at all when you are loking for a job. I would actually laugh if someone mentions that to me in an interview. I have not started actively looking for a job in finance after my result (that came out 2 weeks back) as I am not sure whether i want to change my career at this time or not. 7 Yrs work ex. making good enough money -$115 K …could get up to $125k if I switch within my industry…I am kind of confused what to do. Because financial technology sector is not that bad if you look at it from future perspective…all of us humans are going to be more dependent on Tech than on financial markets. Even if you switch to fin sector, i dont think it would matter unless you move to the deal side. If you end up moving in the support function- which many CFAs also do, after some time, it would not excite you. and it is almost impossible to move on to the deal side without Ivy league MBA. What do you guys think?