Passed Level 3, accepted work exp, joined local & CFA Inst. society and paid dues and submitted PCS....is it official now?

higgmond, now I think he’s just trolling.

if the CFAI’s reply of “we award charters after August” isn’t clear enough… then he either lacks serious reading comprehension, or just troll.

I’m just going with troll now.

I just reviewed the “Membership Agreement” statement that binds a charterholder to the following documents…

1. CFAI Code of Ethics & Standards of Professional Conduct

2. Bylaws

3. Rules of Procedure for Professional Conduct

I did find the following in the CFAI Code of Ethics & Standards of Professional Conduct in Standard VII Section B. under “Proper Usage of the CFA Marks” page 139 of the 2013 Level 3 Curriculum

1. Upon obtaining the CFA charter from the CFA Institute, charterholders are given the right to use the CFA marks.

…I believe it is a reasonable interpretation of that statement that we should wait to receive postive confirmation from CFAI before using the designation. I believe the CFAI can be much clearer on this issue in the Bylaws.

I think it would not be unreasonable that Andytrader could also put up a defensible argument by referring to the Bylaws as the CFAI Code of Ethics & Standards of Professional Conduct in Standard VII refers to the BYLAWS for intial membership requirements. I would argue that the Bylaws trumps the Code of Ethics & Standards in regards to INITIAL membership requirements and the INITIAL use of the designation. Perhaps I would get my ass handed…who knows

I for one will wait until I receive the notice in September before I use the designation.

I did call the toll-free # at CFAI and talked to a phone represenative who may or may not have extensive knowlege of the binding agreements mentioned above. He stated that I should wait until September. I wanted to argue my case but decided to go to the beach instead & enjoy my life :slight_smile:

Good work on your part SD. Welcome to the club (well, in September anyway).

Asked CFAI , Offical answer:

Because of internal processes associated with the release of June 2013 Level III exam results, the charter award process is temporarily suspended during the month of August for quality assurance. This process will resume on 4 September and charters will be awarded automatically to those who have qualified.

You will be notified through email after the charter has been awarded; however, emails will be sent in waves, so it is possible that the designation might appear in your online profile before you receive written confirmation. You do not have to wait until you receive written confirmation to begin using the designation. Once you see CFA after your name in your personal profile, you may begin using the designation.

You may check your status in your online personal profile at https://www.cfainstitute.org/finsecustomer_enu/start.swe

Very simple… search your name in the member directory, if it says CFA beside your name then it’s official

http://www.cfainstitute.org/community/membership/directory/Pages/index.aspx