PCP Investigation? WTH??

Sorry to hear Andreason! Good luck mate!

Sorry to hear Andreason! Good luck mate…

Help you cheat? I think you are taking too far mate…

Looking at the way PCPs are handed over, one would be tempted to say that the proctors are sensible in third world countries!

+1 , proctors are more sensible in asia

In Noida proctors were nice

++1

I never had problem with proctors for last 2 levels…

Giovanni wrote:" I think that the CFAI’s procedures for detecting cheating on the exam open too much room for subjectivity."

I fully agree with it. Not only they seem to be subjective, they are acting more like ‘jail guards / wardens’ (may be from Abu-Ghraib?) than invigilators for an professional exam. But in such cases as this it seems “more loyal than the King” type mentality of the proctor that proves fatal for the candidate. Three hours stressful period with lot to do, to expect that the eyes remain glued to own sheet without any looking up or stretching or even straightening the spine is more of a punishment than a fair examination condition. This is an exam where most, if not all, examinees have invested a huge amount of time and energy to get the opportunity to avail the 6-hour window offered once every year by the CFAI to pass it.

It sounds legitimate as long as the grounds for action and are well defined (not based on presumptions), provable and leaves little doubt about the intention of the test taker. There may be some (negligible number when you compare with total number appearing each year) who does look around or stretch their neck doing so with an intention to cheat but it is perfectly OK if CFAI asks their over-vigilant proctors (or vigilance officers?) to warn the candidate at least once so that it can be somewhat legitimate at least. In this particular case, what or how much can one copy in the AM session that may change the outcome particularly when even the papers are from different sets ? Though at first sight it seems more probable cheating for L1 & L2 due to the nature of answers (shading bubbles only) but with different sets of the paper and so many proctors around will any sensible person dare to look around to get a glimpse of some one else’s sheet without even knowing even if the question is same or not! Yes, some other cases e.g. possession of any sort of aiding material or writing after the time is over etc. are fully justified as not only these have an objective and verifiable basis for PCP.

CFAI should have strictly verifiable guidelines on follow-up for such matters otherwise it is more like hanging without due hearing (as is clear from their statistics). Moreover, CFAI should shorten the period of announcing the decision as it is a huge torture for the CFAI ‘culprit’ to wait for 8 or 9 months to get ‘convicted’(specially when honestly the person knows he had done nothing wrong to deserve such a treatment). There are hundreds of other better means to retain the sanctity of the exam and ‘value’ of the charter than being subjective in judging the intentions of the candidate who have tried his best to pass the exam, one of them being, as many have suggested to film the exam hall scene even if that means charging another $10 extra per student with exam fees. .

Why some part of million of dollars is not used to have camera Every exam now a days has camera recording

This is what I love about this test. The margin for error is so small. One miss step and you don’t quite make it. That’s gangsta!

How True! Many of us LOVE something as long as the sufferer is not ‘me’ (anyone else is fine).

^ +1

If you know who they are, aren’t you obligated to report them? Isn’t it your obligation to uphold the standards?

^ And get a couple of teeth missing…

There is human ethics.

No, i dont think i am obligated or required to report them, according to CFAI. I found out after the fact and I have no proof of it ever happened (people may just talk BS, who knows).

If i catch someone cheating in the WC on the other hand, i would definitely notify the proctor right away, as it may increase my chance of passing… :slight_smile: (evil grin)

best of luck. I don’t know why anyone would try to cheat, its common knowledge that they mix up the answers for multiple choice.

Looking at the proctors is a weird charge.

I am very sorry to hear this. All I can say is, if you did not cheat, then you should not fear anything. Like others have said, try your best to not ruminate and dwell on it. Maybe you will find that it’s a case of mistaken identity and yes, don’t assume they are out to get you or that they have a certain quota, I don’t believe it. Simply state that you did NOT glance at anyone’s paper; that you can’t see anyway and that there is clearly a mistake and you hope it will be rectified swiftly, you put in x hundred hours preparing etc. GOOD LUCK!

I was accused of cheating under very similar terms -maybe even a little bit more absurd- last year at Level 2. Here’s the story: http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-ii-forum/91280797

Just explain them as politelly as possible (I know it’s hard, believe me) why you think this makes no sense, that you were loking at the clock, not the proctors, that you are willing to get your results compared to those of the candidate you were supposedly copying off, etc. Everything. You will most likely get out of this with a warning.

Good luck.

Thank you very much Fdez. I’m happy to see you get out of it clean and your experience does encourage me. However, I think my case is somewhat harder to fight because apparently my proctors are better at making their story sounds true.

I’ve drafted a very long response, but I’m getting too nervous. I don’t want any of my word misinterpreted or even to give CFAI the chance of sentence me as"give the appearance of glancing". Would you mind emailling me and share some of your thoughts? My email is ojisama51 at yahoo dot com

Thank you again for your help

be careful posting your e-mail and nagging the CFA institute and acussing them of lying. this will surely not help your case.

just a firendly advice. You may not know because this thread may be your only posts on this forum but CFA institute really monitor this forum alot.

Hey Andreason,

Did you get “Apply for Membership” email from CFA?