People who say dont get an MBA...

I wonder what the record is for lowest percentage of posts in a thread actually being related to the OP’s question/comment.

My consultant GF has a top ten MBA. She says I shouldn’t get one because I am already where I want to be.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My consultant GF has a top ten MBA. She says I > shouldn’t get one because I am already where I > want to be. She just wants to maintain her credentials superiority over you.

To be honest on a cost basis CFA has to be the winner. If you have your door in the financial industry then surely a CFA would be more valuable then an MBA, however there is also career advancement. But if you are unsure what you want to do, then maybe the MBA is better… I mean for someone like me who is a technical analyst for a Maritime logistic’s compnay, you have to wonder if I should wait until I get into the industry with my Finance dgree, and then do the CFA, but I decided when I graduated that I would go ahead and do level 1, which was a piece of cake (not trying to be arrogant…but it realy was), now Im doing level 2 and trying to get my foot in the door, while also working with the shipping consultancy company as painfull as it is So for me an MBA would be just too expensive, so at the moment a CFA sounds good to me, and maybe an MBA when I get older and have some money. My opinion

Higgmond’s pimp hand > Brains

if u have no work exp, CFA is better than MBA. and to the person who’s gf tells him what to do? wtf man? are you in finance? ur too beta to be in finance. i bet she plugs YOU.

^ most in finance are closet Beta disguised as alpha

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ most in finance are closet Beta disguised as > alpha /thread

NO. THIS THREAD WILL NOT DIE. Whats up with Egypt

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ most in finance are closet Beta disguised as > alpha i’m hibernating as beta until my alpha can be realized

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > and to the person who’s gf tells him what to do? > wtf man? > are you in finance? ur too beta to be in finance. > i bet she plugs YOU. Haha, just an example of somebody with an MBA saying “don’t get an MBA.” You know, the subject of this thread…which nobody actually commented on. I bet you’d like to watch, creeper.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > She just wants to maintain her credentials > superiority over you. Probably. Well, I have CFA and no MBA and she has MBA and no CFA so…from your comment: MBA>CFA. Case closed.

CFA makes you a better analyst… Analysts are MBAs… Case Closed, someone not understanding that needs immediate treatment for OCD… to overcome his/her obsession with knowledge!

Lately, MBA’s and CFA’s have been getting the bootsky due to individuals with higher quantitative skills - MFE’s, PhDs, et co I’m not referring just to the anti-social propeller heads; there’s a glut of MFE’s now and many of them aren’t your typical wonks - they are very social. Clients are starting to appreciate a deeper level of technical understanding and communication rather than the common smooth talking idea punter… Not just referring to structuring, model dev, etc… but certainly sales & trading. SS research is a dying business.

Comp_Sci_kid, is Java used much in finance? I always thought C++ and VBA were the main two OO languages.

sjv, depends what you are trying to do. Quants, for majority don’t use Java, but again they are not building applications.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SuperiorReturn Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > and to the person who’s gf tells him what to > do? > > wtf man? > > are you in finance? ur too beta to be in > finance. > > i bet she plugs YOU. > > Haha, just an example of somebody with an MBA > saying “don’t get an MBA.” You know, the subject > of this thread…which nobody actually commented > on. > > I bet you’d like to watch, creeper. So what? So what if I would watch? I’m only human. My fetish is MBA on MBA. All that smartness and sweat.

Would I be right in saying that MBA’s are viewed more highly in the United States, and surely for entry level jobs they wont expect you to have one, as the expense and time of getting one?

There really shouldnt be a reason not to have a MBA. You can get them online for like 50 bucks now

having an MBA makes you a superior investment professional without violating a code of ethics