PhD on Food Stamps

Bchad, why don’t you teach at a college or something? i think they get paid decent and you get to have lean hours and classy babes attend your classes…

Some adversity is needed to truly appreciate the good things. This is why I am convinced that there is no golf in heaven. What’s the point of playing if you know you will hit every fairway and every green and make every putt?

Correct Higgmond, this is why I put adversity in the denominator. No random walks allowed.

^ I hear ya.

The number of people with a master’s on welfare has also tripled…

I’ve been saying this for years: Too many Americans go to college.

What’s the alternative? All the non-degree jobs have already been shipped overseas… college grads are atleast marginally better off.

^ are they really? According to the most recent data I’ve seen, 54% of college grads under age 25 are unemployed or underemployed and they owe an average of $25,000 in student loan debt. I don’t know what the unemployment rate is for those under 25 without a degree, but can it be much higher? I know one thing though, they don’t have $25,000 in student loan debt hanging over their heads.

Obviously, someone who is “college material” should go to college if he/she is so inclined and can find a reasonable way to pay for it. The problem is that since WW2, the idea that everyone needs to go to college has been pounded into our heads and the result is a whole bunch of people who don’t want to be there and/or don’t belong there. Their presence in the classroom often holds back those who want to be there. It also drives up the cost of college education, while diluting its value.

^ respect. I too, feel the same way. Trade skills are often overlooked, but can provide a very comfortable living for those who enjoy working with their hands. Welders, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, builders, etc easily pull in high 5 figs and low 6 figs after a 2 year associates degree. Furthermore, unions ensure fair wages and some job security. Not everyone needs to, nor should seek out a 4 year degree.

plumber makes $150 per hour. sounds pretty sweet to me

Growing up in the country, most of my high school classmates didn’t get college degrees. Same with many of my current kayaking friends. Of my hometown friends, none are unemployed, all got jobs paying like 60k out of high school for various farms, factories and construction companies, and most are currently making like 80ish. A few of my kayak friends without college degrees do the factory machinist / machine programmer thing and most of them are making like 50-60. So the whole idea of “all the jobs have been shipped overseas” is a myth. Many of these guys tell me their companies are always struggling to find employees with appropriate practical skill sets. You just gotta be willing and able to work hard.

The first thing you see is the light.

Then, you focus on a man in a mask with a knife

as he cuts you away from everything you thought you knew about life.

Now you’re in your mother’s arms, wrinkled and wet.

You’ll spend the rest of your life trying hard to forget

that you met the world naked and screaming

and that’s how you’ll leave it.

In Riverside Hospital, on a July morning,

with a push and a pull - this is how I found out

I wasn’t quite so invulnerable.

It put the fear of God in me when I heard my daddy say, “one mistake is all that it takes.”