Pirated music/movies

hmmm that’s good to know. So what about ‘recording’ the content using your own equipment? Does that fall under ‘possession’ and hence illegal? Let’s say I hold my microphone to my car radio and record it for my own use later on with no intention of sharing it with others

I’d say that would fall under taking possession of it, yes.

^ Watching or listening to streaming content actually can be illegal depending on the site and file type. Some sites create a full length copy of the content on your device and you are technically guilty of illegally possessing copyrighted content even if you don’t know the file is there. Other sites delete the content as you go. Currently though, there is pretty much 0% chance of being prosecuted for watching or listening to streaming content even if your device stores a temp copy somewhere.

Sorry, hit quote instead of edit.

Doesn’t change my point that it’s now easier to pirate.

No, that’s never been the case at all, or the industry’s view. But if you share that view, then don’t sing the songs. But if you really “have a hard time accepting a song as creative content” then it’s pointless to even bother debating this, because you’re just making ridiculous statements. These guys (especially indie artists like Macklemore doing it on their own dime) spend years of their lives writing the songs, buying or renting recording gear and time, then editing and producing an original work, and you don’t think that qualifies as creative content? Try writing an album, then get back to me.

Yes that’s definitely illegal and called bootlegging.

In seriousness (100% honestly, not being a dick), are you originally from another country? I’m genuinely asking, because then a different view on this would make more sense as maybe a cultural thing.

^ Wasn’t there a whole big stink about VHS recording ability and how people were able to record TV and shows. I think that was allowed, which is why VHS machines all had a record button. I don’t believe that was illegal.

Yeah, I was being pretty general, but if a copy of the media is stored on your computer with or without your knowledge it’s still possession and, hence, illegal.

As far as being convicted, it’s extremely rare. The RIAA will give you multiple warnings and normally take you to civil court first to sue you. Criminal complaints are extremely rare.

For anyone that’s really worried about it, I recommend Truecrypt.

The artists that you are defending in your arguement aren’t the ones ‘suffering’ from this issue. They know they have a small and loyal following that will support them. This topic is geared more towards the Justin Beibers whose music actually gets pirated.

‘Try writing an album’ - lets not even bother discussing this… such a dumb statement

PS: Music is a hobby not a career path. If a changing world makes it more difficult for them to make their millions, then they should look at a profession change.

The NFL strongly disagrees with you. It’s still illegal but who was going to care so long as it was for personal use? Or, rather, how could they possibly know?

Now, if you were recording shows/movies and selling them, that’s a different matter.

Such an ignorant series of statements, not even worth a rebuttal. Not suprising though.

Yes I am. May be it is cultural from my pov but I know many 2nd-3rd generation Americans who have a similar stance.

Doesn’t it all boil down to the risk/reward ratio? I doubt most musicians today write music in the hopes of making $60k/yr. They are all dreaming to become rockstars and leading the celebrity life. Piracy is just one of the risks they have to accept.

When Usher took the chance on Justin Beiber, he wasn’t looking for a 8% return.

Fair enough, we’ll just agree to call it a cultural difference and leave it at that.

I often rebroadcast NFL games with only implied verbal consent rather than express written consent, and they haven’t come after me yet.

I think it’s a moral judgement. My dad is completely against pirating. I’m more of a gray area. Like, I used to own a ton of CDs and obviously don’t use them anymore but don’t want to pay for everything again. If I’m downloading Bob Marley Legend I’m probably not paying for it. That is the stuff that is annoying to pay for. Most new music is available for free anyway.

I do go to concerts to support the bands I like. With things like Spotify, the business is changing. Anyone know how/if Spotify kicks back to artists? Or, is it just about publicity and free advertising for the artist, like radio?

I like that pirating has forced a lot of change for the better. It’s made legal content cheaper and easier to access. If it was up to the RIAA we’d still be paying $16 for a CD. It’s good they got jabbed in the eye.

Artists get paid for their radio spots, as well as for their streaming plays on Spotify et al. According to this article it’s about 1/3 of a cent per play for some no name band. I assume it’s a little more for the better known bands.

I use Spotify for music, which pretty much eliminates my need to pirate music.

For video I use Hulu/NetFlix/whatever jank streaming service that hasn’t been shut down yet.

SurfTheChannel + MegaVideo was how I did it in college. I haven’t found anything nearly as reliable since that blew up.

I have to partly agree with this. Remember back in the day where you had to buy a whole CD for $15-$20 even if you really only liked 2 songs? ridiculous.

Technology (legal music downloads) all changed that. where now you buy just those 2 songs at a couple bucks.

Of course the industry blamed the huge decline in revenues from pirating.

Ohh busted!! I am for a system of punishments scaled according to damages to society. So for this guy, instant death penalty, no discussion. Stealing $1B from artists is way worse than killing an individual or even multiple individuals (which doesn’t actually cause any real damage except to family/friends). This damaged millions of artists, and mades art worse for everyone.

The government identified Vaulin as the owner of Kickass Torrents, which prosecutors said has allowed users to distribute copies of films, musical recordings, video games and other copyrighted material worth more than $1 billion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-20/u-s-charges-owner-of-most-visited-illegal-file-sharing-website