Planning to retire or not?

Well, if you wanna get into the strategy of Starcraft 2, haha… I think there’s a LOT of strategy and its much less rote than say, Starcraft 1, though I haven’t played Frozen Throne. The problem for me is that in order to implement the micro strategies, it takes a lot of practice. I admire people who can do that, don’t get me wrong. Amazing that some people can control a lot of units with 400 APM (actions per minute) and cast various spells, etc., but to me it is mindnumbing and just not fun in order to build my skillz to that level. Another example is the beginning build order. There are of course various builds, but they can be split into three broad groups: aggressive, balanced, economical. There are actual programs out there where you can practice these build orders so that you can get everything down so perfect that you can time it down to the 1-2 seconds. A final example is practicing controlling units that are slightly outrange and/or outpace other units. One example might controlling Terran Marines vs. incoming Zerg banelings. In order to effectively deal with the threat as Terran, you have to attack, move, attack, move, attack, move. At the same time splitting up your Marines unto multiple groups so that they don’t get destroyed by the splash damage of the banelings. In all these cases, execution is very difficult and an art by itself, something that I admire. However, I don’t care enough to practice it all day and all night to move up in the ranks. I find the academic understanding aspect more enjoyable. In chess, this may entail knowing that you need to control the center, or being able to dictate the tempo of the play, as the intangible keys to being a better player. In order to implement this, you need to study thousands of games and get into the nitty gritty and the multitude of permutations. In poker, this may mean knowing the proper frequency to bluff on the river (you have to offer them pot odds equal to the odds you are bluffing, for example, so that you do not have an exploitable strategy), or the right way to do a semi-bluff according to implied odds, and tailor that to your particular opponents and their number. That’s the idea. The execution is very difficult, especially against observant opponents and your needing tens or hundreds of thousands of trials for the statistics to work in your way. I can understand the academic strategy, but find it mind-numbingly boring to actually play and execute it. Anyways, I think I wrote a lot, I didn’t even mean to. :slight_smile:

In the World of Warcraft Executive Boardroom President: Fellow board members, we have a problem: somebody in the World of Warcraft is ignoring the World’s rules …and is going around killing innocent players… Member 1: Why kill innocent players? The game is about finishing quests. Member 2: We’ve got to delete him from the servers. President: We can’t. Whoever this player is, he has played World of Warcraft so much, that he has reached a level we thought unreachable. He’s actually able to kill our admins. And he grows stronger every day. Member 3: Jesus… Member 4: [rises from his chair] I’ve gotta get home! My kids are playing World of Warcraft right now! President: Jim, your kids’ characters are already dead. Jim: No… [sinks back into his seat] No… [frustrated] They just started playing! Member 2: What kind of person would do this? President: [walks back to the end of the table, by the doors] Only one kind. Whoever this player is, he has played World of Warcraft nearly every hour of every day for the past year and a half. Gentlemen, we are dealing with someone here who… had absolutely no life. Member 3: How do you kill… that which has no life?

^LOL^ they nailed that episode…my GF was dying!!!

i agree i am more interested in strat aspect rather than APMs …most if not all SC gosus are from south korea…the current reigning frozen throne champ (Grubby) is from europe… sure frozen throne still has some click aspects to it but the strat is more central…for example if u build 50 units u have built plenty

i get bored with video games pretty quickly. i prefer real life for its quirks and randomness. as i’ve said before, my plan is to retire at the beach and open a bar. maybe a chair and umbrella rental stand, too.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And I, for one, welcome our new computer > overlords. Lulz. +1

Anyways, to get back to the subject. Are you planning to retire or not?

sublimity my buddy, hows career, hows your mother

oh yea im diamond league in sc2

cfagoal2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sublimity my buddy, hows career, hows your mother his mom cant talk right now …mouths full

sup cfagoal2? life’s good, phd’ed and working as a consultant for tech. also, mom just died. happy pimpineasy?