Playing for fun vs Playing to win

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > There is nothing fun about losing. > > > What about when you lost your virginity? … did he?

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > higgmond Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > There is nothing fun about losing. > > > What about when you lost your virginity? That wasn’t really all that much fun either. I mean seriously, how much fun can 43 seconds with an ugly chick really be?

Or your high school best friend’s hot mom who invited you in for lemonade while he was still at soccer practice. Wait what are we talking about?

I lost my virginity to the basement couch in 5th grade…that was kind of fun.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >I mean seriously, how much fun can 43 seconds with > an ugly chick really be? Sometimes you have to b@ng a 4 to appreciate an 8. View it as an investment!

I have a lot more fun winning than losing, and I always play to give my best effort and hope that translates to winning. The only time losing is fun if it’s an educational experience, such as if I played against someone who was clearly a better player than me and I could learn from my own shortcomings and mistakes. If I were in a team sport, and everyone around me sucked and told me that I was just concerned about winning, I’d leave to find a more competitive scenery. Those guys sound like losers anyway.

^ I just wanted to add that how you compete depends on your context – if it’s just a social event like touch football or basketball for a charity or whatever, and you’re awesome but everyone else sucks, then maybe it makes sense to “go all out” from time to time…but you may be better off just trying to help elevate the level of your teammates. People can tell whether you’re good at a sport or not, and you don’t need their adulation to stroke your ego anyway. If it’s a social or company situation, at that point then your main priority shouldn’t necessarily be winning, but just to get everyone else on your team engaged and help them up their skill level. Your co-workers and peers will think *very* highly of you, and you have to look at the game as more of a team-building exercise. Now, on the other hand, if it were an after-hours sports league or weekend tennis leagues or whatever, then I would definitely go all-out in search of victory as long as it didn’t turn me into a poor sport. That said, if you’re determined to win, being a gracious player will make it more fun for you and your opponents, regardless of whether you win or lose.

brain_wash_your_face Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I lost my virginity to the basement couch in 5th > grade…that was kind of fun. Remind me to never go to your house.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > brain_wash_your_face Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I lost my virginity to the basement couch in > 5th > > grade…that was kind of fun. > > > Remind me to never go to your house. I imagine there was a lot of pillow talk before the couch loving began. Oooh… you are sofa king hot…