pooling method

I don’t have the book in front of me (I’m at work) to pull a quote from but I remember that there are like 12 requirements or something that if a merger meets each requirement they can be accounted for under the pooling method in IAS. It is still rare but can occur. I’ll look for the quote tonight when I get home.

I thought I remembered reading something about it being allowed under rare circumstances, but I looked through the IAS’s website and didn’t see anything. I’ll check the book tonight, but unless you hear back differently, it might be best just to assume it has been disallowed by IAS.

http://www.fasb.org/news/nr012401.shtml

^ a news flash 7 years old that nobody has told CFAI about. It really makes me wonder who has the power on the curriculum committee to keep this nonsense in the curriculum. It’s dead. Deal with it. In the meantime, the CDO market has grown from about 0 to, I dunno, 50 trillion dollars and then caused the possibility of global financial meltdown. Does the curriculum devote amounts of time to those topics proportionate to their importance in finance?

Touche. (Use your imagination for the accent)

I have to say I agree with you. In Quans, there is lettle mathematical reasoning. CFAI seems just wanna CFA charterholder know how to apply all the models without understanding the underlying logic. JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ a news flash 7 years old that nobody has told > CFAI about. It really makes me wonder who has the > power on the curriculum committee to keep this > nonsense in the curriculum. It’s dead. Deal with > it. > > In the meantime, the CDO market has grown from > about 0 to, I dunno, 50 trillion dollars and then > caused the possibility of global financial > meltdown. Does the curriculum devote amounts of > time to those topics proportionate to their > importance in finance?

I found a question which is quite relevant with this topic. Practice exam volume 1 page 77 question 2