Post-finance career

I always liked the idea of opening my own coffee shop. Relaxed atmosphere where I could get free food all day, and get work done at the same place.

It’s not going to be a cash cow by any means, but it’s almost an exact opposite of the fast-paced and stressful life of finance.

by my calc, to retire at 40, you need to make around 5-10 million…only managing directors/very senior ppl actually pull in more than a million a year…after taxes, spending, you problably have to work at least 10 years at a pretty senior role to achieve this…not at all easy…

At today’s interest rates, you should be able to get about $200k until you die from $5 million. So, that is probably a good starting point for most people.

Based on what I heard, he was in a meeting with some upper management guys. At some point, they asked some questions that he did not like, and then he went crazy, started yelling at them, saying “fuck” at various things, etc. Anyway, he “resigned” on the same day.

Actually, I always fantasized that my career would end this way. In reality, I am probably more likely to internalize bad feelings, and then secretly slash tires, set fires, etc.

^. Ah the Milton waddams route like in office space. Eh? Where you secretly mumble “I’m gonna… Set the building… On fire” randomly until you actually do it…

Invest/open microbreweries. Tough business tho

sup palantir, hear the good news yet?

Not yet man, they’re very slow so far…hopefulyl soon though, but it is a competitive position like most these days.

dont’ worry, it took me 6 months (first interview to acceptance)…

Opening a microbrewery was my plan when I went to grad school. Area where I grew up had just opened a minor league baseball stadium and a minor league hockey arena and I figured if I could get contracts with both of them I’d be in good shape and would be able to survive until I could get into local bars and liquor stores. Unfortunately while I was still in school, some DB’s from 3,000 miles away had the same idea I did and opened their brewery, stadium and arena contracts in hand, well before I graduated.

I’ve thought of hanging this garbage up once I have enough debt paid down and teaching. I’m a simple being and don’t need big houses, big rims, or big thangs.

would you consider working for floyd as his money manager?

idk but, i actually like what i do…even if i was filthy rich, i still do this…though on a different level…what you going to do when you retire? gets awfully boring, no challenge…