Private exchange funds

But to be clear here the real differentiator is how a private fund is organized and additional investment freedoms they provide and not a “single security” vs. “diverse securities” - which I still dont fully understand why you would establish a private completion fund composed of the same security - simply not the most direct route to diversify with and there are limits to what you can do through derivatives!

Exchange funds are organized in such a way that it exchanges funds between investors. So if there are 10 investors each have concentrated stocks, there will be fund created with all of them and have distributed amongst them. For Private Exchange, if a mutual fund is having stock where one investor’s portfolio is concentrated, mutual fund will exchange that stock for the investor by mutual fund(same) and will make it more diversify. However this strategy will be possible when the stock is part of the mutual fund. While exchange fund is possible for any investor as they are creating their own fund.

This thread just made me even more confused. What are the differences between a public and private exchange fund?

it allows for more cost effective hedging techniques like OTC zero cost collars that you could structure with a trading desk… they have minimums for these types of transactions, so if you comingle your stock with your partners, you will be able to use derivatives to hedge more cost effectively…

private: same security has to be unrelated parties holding the same security not required to hold illiquid stock limited partnership structure can borrow to monetize partners can chnage compositions public must hold 20% or greater in illiquid assets manager controls assets no chnage after implemetnation partners share each others gains or losses ability to monetize int he end holds diversified holdings

good summary darlia One more point in Private Exchange Fund - unrelated investor who purchases the same security.

One security? or many different types of low basis securities? I am confused. I thought there are many different types of securities, I mean company A, company B…then they pull together to diversify, because they diversify, thus sharing gain and loss together. At the end of the fund, they just pull their part and go home. Am I correct?

2 keys points to remember: 1) No of securities - Public fund has investors with ‘different’ securities (eg. LNKD, TSLA) Private fund has investors with ‘same’ (only 1) security (eg. LNKD) 2) Means of diversification - Public funds diversify through pooling of different securities along with 20% exposure to other illiquid assets. Private funds diversity through hedging, borrowing against hedged portfolio and then investing the proceeds into other securities.