PTSD Charterholder career change

Up in Canada a designation is the minimum ticket to play in the corporate side so yes, I have found value with the Charter and am proud to be a Charterholder. It’s probably less valuable in the AM side, though I do see guys with the Charter getting interviews more than undesignation folk.

The value to date is probably about $75k for me, so was 800 hours worth it? Marginally, but lets see how that plays out over time. I expect that to be a much larger number in the immediate future.

lol that’s pretty funny. my company pays my dues so I don’t care, but I totally use it as an ice breaker too. It’s hilarious laughing among charterholders when we talk about how the only real value was showing people you were willing to suffer and sacrifice for your career. to use it as a break in tool is absolutely useless.

also interesting, I’d have to say in the past year, I’ve noticed a material decline in CFA candidates resumes that come in for junior spots. I used to get L2 or L3, but nowadays not as much. people woken up?

What does this thread have to do with PTSD (in the title)?

I saw very few Passed level 3 or Charterholders. The ones I did see wanted unrealistic salaries. Sorry guys, I ain’t payin’ for that shit, I know what’s in it and it’s not worth much. Experience is much better. Someone young and smart who is very motivated and has zero credentials beyond a Bachelor’s degree but has solid research samples and knows what they are talking about is the best candidate of all. It’s hard to imagine how much more valuable 800 hours of case studies would have been to me relative to the time wasted on passing the exams. I think 5-10x more valuable is probably realistic.

Regret would be a better word choice, IMO. PTSD is something far more serious than realizing you made a mistake by studying for useless exams and lost a few thousand dollars in fees in the process.