Q: AM Answer Sheet Format

Hi All,

I freaked out when this was raised, as I did the exact same thing, and emailed CFAI - just got a response:

“Templates are provided to assist you in answering the question. Templates are formatted to illustrate the logic of the question and the appropriate length of narrative answers. If you choose not to use the templates, your answers on lined pages will be graded. If you write your answer in more than one place, be sure to cross out any answer or portion of an answer that you do not want the grader to consider.”

So now I’m more worried that the answer I wrote for question 1 that was meant to be in a template and that I rewrote in the template is now answered twice.

But seems that the order of answers is less important - which is a relief.

In some cases I had C.i and C.ii on the same page, clearly labeled. In a different problem, I answered C.i on one page, and then the next page was the template for D, then on the back of the template page there was more lined paper, and that’s where I wrote C.ii. In both cases, I should have all my answers graded, right?

Sounds like it - from the response I received, it would appear that CFAI will actively look for answers on the papers submitted, regardless of whether the answer is written before or after the template. Seems like as long as you answered question 1 on the pages between question 1 and 2, you will be fine.

As for marking the answers that are not labelled, I didnt address that, so am not sure what their approach will be in that case.

Did anyone notice the most left column in the line pages is for CFA Institute Only.

If you label your questions on that line pages, they will be ignored by the grader?

Where did you actually label your questions?

I did it this way

(A) (i)

xxxxx…answers…xxxx

you wrote inside the “CFAI ONLY” margins?

As in label the questions I am answering in the CFAI Only margin.

I cant recall what I did. But in the worst case, I suppose it will still be graded right?

bpdulog wrote:

I think everyone’s overreacting here. The graders are charterholders, I’m pretty sure they know to check all possible areas for answer responses. As long as it’s clearly labeled, you should be fine.

sherbeer: that is the problem. I forgot to label them.

Are they really that tough on the grading? No label = No credit? I doubt it as long as it is right after the question in clear order.