Quantitative Analysis > Fundamental Analysis

What about intuitive anti-analysis.

those who invest time in working out the details of the Girsanov theorem in order to understand the risk neutrality principle in Black-Scholes, and dismiss the analysis and interpretation of financial ratios as “some boring stuff accountants do”, will eventually suffer. in my opinion, there is no succesful pure quant outside of academia that lacks knowledge of the fundamentals. quantitative analysis and fundamental analysis should be complimentary, those who view them as competing are likely wrong regardless of which side they are taking

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > those who invest time in working out the details > of the Girsanov theorem in order to understand the > risk neutrality principle in Black-Scholes, and > dismiss the analysis and interpretation of > financial ratios as “some boring stuff accountants > do”, will eventually suffer. in my opinion, there > is no succesful pure quant outside of academia > that lacks knowledge of the fundamentals. > quantitative analysis and fundamental analysis > should be complimentary, those who view them as > competing are likely wrong regardless of which > side they are taking Totally agreed. It is like a cheap motel room (fundamental analysis) and Mobius Striptease’s mother (quantitative analysis, as related to MS’s math aptitude), they can each make money by themselves, but it is when you combine them that you can make even more money.

king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FrankArabia Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > With all this talk of quant/fundamentals, > > > > are there any famous quant/value funds? > > > > the guys i hear of are pretty fundamental and > > problably wouldn’t run some crazy computer > program > > that will tell them to buy a stock. > > > > How about Renaissance Technology? Probably the > most successful hedge fund ever (unless Paulson > can keep this up). i don’t think Renaissance is value, at least not in the traditional sense of the term. They’re a black box hedge fund with some awesome formulas that I couldn’t understand.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > With all this talk of quant/fundamentals, > > are there any famous quant/value funds? > > the guys i hear of are pretty fundamental and > problably wouldn’t run some crazy computer program > that will tell them to buy a stock. There are 1000s and 1000s of hedge funds that do one, both, either or something completely different. See if you can find some fund performance rankings and work out who does what. Famous if you know them. I could name 10 at each without thinking.