Rajaratnam Guilty on All 14 Counts...

see below

trying to be all hard on the internet. hey tough guy we get how bad ass you are - people should just do whatever they want, insider trading and all. the only insider trading you and your boy raj will ever do is when you submit a limit order on e-trade while inside your boyfriends

Pwned again TT

hey. the american government and judicial system seems to care a lot more about capital than humans so i wouldn’t make fun of the term “capital terrorist”. i only used the word terrorist because a terrorist heightens fear among whatever it is terrorizing. the bottom line is, you have to make an example of someone and make it worldwide news so that all people who step onto US soil or who trade US securities will understand the ramifications of running or being a part of an insider network. you’re not going to do that with a probation sentence. just be glad that we’ve moved past the point of him being executed for such a thing. and in reality, he’ll serve maybe 10 years max in isolation reading books vs the 19 handed down to him so think of it as a 10 year sentence. the amount stolen really doesn’t matter. it is the act of what you do. what is your sentence if you kill 1 person. what is your sentence if you kill 100 people. in the end, about the same. so if you steal, 100k or 100m or 100T (so long as they are all above some set benchmark of what is a capital crime), you should get relatively the same punishment. quantifying sentences based on the gain made is backwards law. i see little to no difference between raj and madoff. they both knowingly stole millions of dollars knowing the repurcussions of being caught for such a crime.

Again, he did not steal, he cheated. And yes, the amount does matter. If you’re saying the amount stolen does not matter, then you’re also logically arguing that an 18 year old shoplifter should get the same 20 year sentence. Does that make sense? Also, I do believe someone who kills 1 person and someone who kills 100 should get VERY different sentences.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Again, he did not steal, he cheated. Does it even matter for this meathead at this point?

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > How many people have gone to jail for the Bernie > Madoff ponzi? One? I’ve always wanted to know how > only ONE person runs a $65 Billion ponzi scheme. > You’re comparing apples and oranges. One is a white Jew and the other is a black (and fat) Indian. The law clearly differentiates between the two. The fat guy should be shot by death squad for excessive stupidity.

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > > the bottom line is, you have to make an example of > someone and make it worldwide news so that all > people who step onto US soil or who trade US > securities will understand the ramifications of > running or being a part of an insider network. > you’re not going to do that with a probation > sentence. just be glad that we’ve moved past the > point of him being executed for such a thing. and > in reality, he’ll serve maybe 10 years max in > isolation reading books vs the 19 handed down to > him so think of it as a 10 year sentence. the > amount stolen really doesn’t matter. it is the act > of what you do. what is your sentence if you kill > 1 person. what is your sentence if you kill 100 > people. in the end, about the same. so if you > steal, 100k or 100m or 100T (so long as they are > all above some set benchmark of what is a capital > crime), you should get relatively the same > punishment. quantifying sentences based on the > gain made is backwards law. i see little to no > difference between raj and madoff. they both > knowingly stole millions of dollars knowing the > repurcussions of being caught for such a crime. I’m really surprised and disappointed to see this kind of crap from you, Matt…NOT!

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > anyone attacking market confidence is attacking > democracy and the american way of life. i’d go so > far to say that insider trading is a terrorist > activity as it increases fear in markets and in > turn increases the cost of capital. without harse > punishment for this terrorist activity, one > (america) would be letting this fear premium to > expand and further increase the cost of capital. > insider trading is an attack to all capital and > those who hold capital. america holds the most > capital so the practice of insider trading is an > attack on america specifically and what it stands > and fights for. uh… okay.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Chuckrox8 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > > > How many people have gone to jail for the > Bernie > > Madoff ponzi? One? I’ve always wanted to know > how > > only ONE person runs a $65 Billion ponzi > scheme. > > > > > You’re comparing apples and oranges. One is a > white Jew and the other is a black (and fat) > Indian. The law clearly differentiates between > the two. > > The fat guy should be shot by death squad for > excessive stupidity. thank you MO

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 20 years for a victimless crime is sad. Our financial system is based on trust, if we can’t for the most part trust the actors within our system then it won’t work. We live in the consequences of our decisions, part of being a criminal is doing time, if he doesn’t want to go to jail he shouldn’t do illegal shit.

^For the bazillionth time, we get why he’s in jail, it’s that it’s 20 years (10 seems more just) that we have a problem with. I don’t care what you say, Raj has not earned a sentence multiple times that of a child rapist. If you disagree with that statement, maybe you should take a stroll outside your cubicle and rejoin the real world.

I think 1-5 years is fair for insider trading.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^For the bazillionth time, we get why he’s in > jail, it’s that it’s 20 years (10 seems more just) > that we have a problem with. I don’t care what > you say, Raj has not earned a sentence multiple > times that of a child rapist. If you disagree > with that statement, maybe you should take a > stroll outside your cubicle and rejoin the real > world. There’s really no evidence to support your assertion that Raj will be doing more time then a goof that preys on kids. As far as sentencing guidelines are concerned, violent offenses against children are treated far more harshly the white collar crime. Plus since he’ll be doing time in the federal system he will be eligible for parole quicker and his time will be a lot easier then if he was in a state pen. Rejoin the real world? Give me a break, you know nothing about me.

bodhisattva Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^For the bazillionth time, we get why he’s in > > jail, it’s that it’s 20 years (10 seems more > just) > > that we have a problem with. I don’t care what > > you say, Raj has not earned a sentence multiple > > times that of a child rapist. If you disagree > > with that statement, maybe you should take a > > stroll outside your cubicle and rejoin the real > > world. > > There’s really no evidence to support your > assertion that Raj will be doing more time then a > goof that preys on kids. As far as sentencing > guidelines are concerned, violent offenses against > children are treated far more harshly the white > collar crime. Plus since he’ll be doing time in > the federal system he will be eligible for parole > quicker and his time will be a lot easier then if > he was in a state pen. > > Rejoin the real world? Give me a break, you know > nothing about me. http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/news/lombardo-sentenced-for-molestation I honestly just pulled the news story from the top of my google results, but there were many with similar themes. This guy in Indiana was a violent offender with two prior convictions convicted of molesting an 8 year old girl and he got the state’s maximum sentence of 8 years. If you google convictions you’ll see countless cases like this. Sex offenders notoriously get catch and release treatment. But you’re telling me Raj’s misdeeds are more than 2x worse? So there is some evidence after all that Raj got a significantly harsher sentence than an offender. I don’t need to know the details of people’s lives to tell when they’ve gotten so wrapped up in capital markets they’ve lost perspective based on statements like those given supporting the 20 year sentence.

Um, just to get this straight, you’re saying “he didn’t just cheat the system” because “he cheated the industry”? And that somehow cheating to boost your career in the financial system and harm those poor analysts should get you 40 years in a system where a violent sex offender convicted for the third time of molesting an 8 year old girl gets 8 years? Jesus, get your head out of your @ss and wake up to the fact that while your world may revolve around promotions and research reports, the rest of the human race frankly doesn’t give a crap.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > And that somehow cheating to boost your career in > the financial system and harm those poor analysts > should get you 40 years in a system where a > violent sex offender convicted for the third time > of molesting an 8 year old girl gets 8 years? Give me a break. I said nothing about it being worse than molesting an 8 year old girl. You are the one drawing that moral equivalence, not me. They are both terrible crimes and both deserve heavy punishments. And yes, committing fraud by stealing millions of dollars – all while you have an ivy league pedigree – should be a very heavy penalty. If anyone should know better, it should have been a guy like Raj. If you knew Raj, then you know it wasn’t a 1 off act or even a 14-off act. It was a core operating procedure at Galleon to trade on inside info. The place was basically a front as a legit fund for an insider trading operation which carried the day on their performance #s. When Reg FD came into existence, he basically laughed about it. It’s not just morally wrong, it’s illegal. Do the crime, do the time.

prophets Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Give me a break. I said nothing about it being > worse than molesting an 8 year old girl. When you say he deserves 40 years in a system which doles out 8 to offenders, you actually are indeed implicitly stating that you believe it is 4x worse. Of course I doubt you put that much thought into your statements. Also, it strikes me that all the people on this forum throwing around numbers like 20 and 40 years have never spent a day in jail so they have no grasp what they’re talking about. Just throwing out blind numbers of punishments they have no comprehension of. Yeah, that’s you.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > prophets Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > > When you say he deserves 40 years in a system > which doles out 8 to offenders, you actually are > indeed implicitly stating that you believe it is > 4x worse. Of course I doubt you put that much > thought into your statements. Not to speak on prophet’s behalf, but he could fairly make that assertion while simultaneously maintaining that 8yrs for molestation is also too little a punishment. My point being that saying one sentence is too little a punishment for crime A doesn’t necessarily mean the current sentence for crime B (in this case a far more grotesque and savage offense) is appropriate.

^Fair point, but in that case, doling out such sever punishments for insider trading while other sentences remain so under-punished still represents an injustice, which is the point of the whole thread. That under the current system, his sentence was unjust (too harsh). Should have been half of what it is.