Rajaratnam Guilty on All 14 Counts...

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Steroids was not illegal in baseball before 2003. I don’t know why people keeping saying this - it simply isn’t true. Steriods have been illegal in baseball since the 70’s. Until recently there was no testing and no punishment, but it was still against the rules.

starbuk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you guys are unbelievable. dont you get it - if > you can make 20million dollars illegally and live > like a king for 10, 15 years then you deserve to > go to jail for that long. if you can live it up > for 20 years and only do 5 years for insider > trading then that is not enough of a punishment to > deter someone. lots of people would just do the > time because they can live it up and it would be > worth it. > > federal prison isnt this hell that you see on Oz > or wherever you get your ideas of jail from. > federal prison is not that bad - compare it to > chicago or atlanta jails - so the time isnt that > bad. its not like he is sitting in a dark hole > for 20 years ffs. how can you say its too long > when he had 20 years to do whatever he wants > because he did something illegal. Starbuk, have you ever spent even a day in jail or are you just blathering about some op ed you read in the NYT and whimsically throwing decades of jail sentences around? I had the misfortune of spending just shy of a week in a county jail before getting bailed out in college due to some wild times that may have gotten mildly out of hand. I cannot express how much sitting in that concrete cell, unexpectedly cut off from your life and loved ones sucks. The incident happened kind of unexpectedly, and it takes time to get setup to use the phones, so I had no idea if people even knew I was in there to bail me out, etc. And once you eat your first prison meal, from that point on literally everything smells like the food, which is not really a good thing. The people were pretty chill (it was only county), but overall, I couldn’t imagine spending years in that environment. Maybe it’d get better as you got used to it and the people, but still, not fun. I mean, I pointed out that repeat child rapists get sentences that are less than half of his, you don’t think that behavior needs deterred as well? The point is, his sentence is out of line with that of people who have committed far more horrible crimes. He basically got the same sentence as Skilling, who played a key role in destroying all of Enron and left thousands without jobs and retirement funds. Meanwhile Raj unfairly aided his investors. Edit: I was also the first in my family to attain a prison name, “Blue” based on my blue spiked hair at the time. My parents didn’t find it as impressive an achievement as I did.

Im not gonna comment on the jail experience but I can tell you that county is not as bad as federal prison. Regardless, it is still prison. Unless you are one of the Trailer Park Boys, it is not fun. the law is not perfect but if you are unfortunate enough to get caught red handed in a high profile case they will burn you. heres where I have an issue with all this: Raj knew the consequences before he broke the law. if he was not willing to accept the consequences he should not have done it. period. he took a chance and got burned now he does the time. if you want to start talking about stuff that is illegal that shouldnt be - drugs, guns, certain crimes - that is something that gets decided by our courts. if you dont like it you can leave the country or take it to court and appeal it. that is our system in the United States and it is 100x better than many other countries, and I am sure you know nothing about that.

Im just pist about this thread because people can argue against anything that happens in the news and try to take the other side. I respect your POV I just disagree with you on this one.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > former trader Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Steroids was not illegal in baseball before > 2003. > > I don’t know why people keeping saying this - it > simply isn’t true. Steriods have been illegal in > baseball since the 70’s. Until recently there was > no testing and no punishment, but it was still > against the rules. if there are rules that no one’s enforcing, are they really rules?

“You play to win the game.” Herman Edwards www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

will the real bsd please stand up? http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/at-a-time-of-needed-financial-overhaul-a-leadership-vacuum/?nl=business&emc=dlbkpma2

starbuk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Im not gonna comment on the jail experience but I > can tell you that county is not as bad as federal > prison. Regardless, it is still prison. Unless > you are one of the Trailer Park Boys, it is not > fun. > > the law is not perfect but if you are unfortunate > enough to get caught red handed in a high profile > case they will burn you. heres where I have an > issue with all this: Raj knew the consequences > before he broke the law. if he was not willing to > accept the consequences he should not have done > it. period. he took a chance and got burned now > he does the time. if you want to start talking > about stuff that is illegal that shouldnt be - > drugs, guns, certain crimes - that is something > that gets decided by our courts. if you dont like > it you can leave the country or take it to court > and appeal it. that is our system in the United > States and it is 100x better than many other > countries, and I am sure you know nothing about > that. Actually county jail is by far the worst (inmates can’t wait to get to the State Penn) , followed by a State Penitentiary, with Federal Prison coming in a very distant third.

Some of you described the jail, prison conditions with vivid conviction. Other than Black Swan, who else actually went to to jail too?

^ sorry I meant county is the worst, per my original post - I mixed them up here. especially in places like Chicago, forgetaboutit! I also hear that people cannot wait to get to federal joints compared to county, Briscoe.

Who cares about the prison conditions? Dude is 53 now. 20 years later and he’s 73. His life is gone. This is his retirement. It is obvious that they made an example out of him. He didn’t deserve the punishment, but they gotta come down hard on a public case like this.

He definately deserves 20 years, 5 years for insider trading, 15 years for stupidity… How can anyone be that stupid to pass insider info on phone, where there are so many foolproof ways to pass the info anonymously and secratively. This is what happen when people get the money which they don’t deserve, they think they are invincible and become stupid. And seriously I don’t belive he “just” earned 20 millions doing insider trading. This is the amount which is confirmed, he might have earned much more, that’s why he was tossing insider info worth 20 millions just like that.

AlphaSeeker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Some of you described the jail, prison conditions > with vivid conviction. > > Other than Black Swan, who else actually went to > to jail too? I did.

Mo34, care to elaborate on your case?

AlphaSeeker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mo34, care to elaborate on your case? no

Spent about 14 hours in county lockup for stupid college stuff. I was in a cell with crack dealer picked up the night before, a guy who killed his wife and was on the move to a different state pen (that’s what he told us anyway), and a dude who kept got his fourth DWI while on parole for previous DWIs.