Recent musing of newly wed Millennial couple complaining about $$$

My point is that housing is the #1, most expensive, most exorbitant purchase for even people who otherwise purport to be “reasonable”. You can’t say you’re frugal because you own no Porsches, but yet have a house that is 10x your income.

It would be tight unless you put a huge down payment

I take it these are friends or acquaintances of yours? What do they do for a living?

Even more worrisome as conversations like this were exactly the ones being had between 2005 and 2008, and no one learned the lesson a decade after the fact. Here we go again.

Interesting conversation gentlemen. Please carry on

Worst case they default on the loan and live rent free for a year :wink:

all our credit was hacked this morning anyway - best defense for unwanted identity theft is to have a shity online identity (i.e bad credit). I guess Millennials had it right all along

I am to the point where, when I hear these conversations, I just get worried that the financially inept masses are so overwhelming that the system will come crashing down before I can live to benefit from the savings/investments I am dutifully building.

We need debtors prisons.

In a sense, Toronto has never seen the long cold winter because our housing didn’t crash during those years - we clearly haven’t learned the lesson from our southern neighbours.

If I have kids, I’ll make sure to pay with cash at restaurants so they don’t see the credit card as some device that contains infinite amounts of money.

My friend recently just put less than 20% down on a condo in North York. I told him about mortgage insurance and he said “mortage insurance isn’t always a bad thing”. He’s a teacher but his job is in no way secure. *Facepalm.

^ I’d like to see his list of when mortgage insurance isn’t a bad thing.

Nope, just need to stop the easy extension of credit by setting up an easy path to default on unsecured credit.

my credit card pay 2% cash back on everything! i have mint so i keep track of all my spending like crazy. i check it before i sleep all the time. lol

i dont carry that much cash either, i have this banging phone wallet that can carry credit card, license, as well as 2 bills, so i always have a 20 on it. when i go running, i can also fit a key on top of all that. im really just waiting on the day, where my phone can serve as the key to my car/house.

With mortgage insurance, you just pay a higher interest rate in return for having to pay a lower down payment, right? I guess if you have a really high opportunity cost for that capital somehow, it might make sense? I doubt that it is priced in the borrower’s favor of course.

In any case, if you can only afford the house with this sort of arrangement, it might be better to not buy that house…

but its a nice house and all the cool rich people live there and it will keep going up

yeah because duh this time is different

With one of those bluetooth door locks and newer cars, it’s already possible to use your phone as a door key and car key. Our new car can be started from anywhere using an app on the phone – not sure I like that idea.

You don’t even need bluetooth. I can unlock my car from anywhere in the world, check my oil, and my tire pressure. Newer cars come with a free onstar app that will allow you to do this stuff from your phone.

Free advice for those AF youngsters who haven’t settled down and gotten married…

if having children is part of your life plan, start saving now.