Recommended play - Refusing to disclose salary history?

what you think about negotiating a salary after you have already stated a number and the firm not only matched it but raised it. Do you still have capacity to ask for more due to maybe saying a few other factors that you did not consider previously. I also dont wanna piss anybody off in the process so maybe this is not a wise choice. The bump is considerable from where Im at now.

^ Absolutely not. You ask, they match and even go higher, you’re done. If that was me hiring and you asked for more again, I’d pull your offer in a heartbeat and punt your ass out the door.

Unless that “other factor” is a competing offer for a similar role with higher pay, then, no. However, if you do have a competing offer with higher pay, I would say you have a leveraged position and you should at least let the lower offering firm counter-offer. Always look out for number 1. If there are not better offers on the table, then I agree with geo.

Even if he was by far the best candidate and his demand for more is still lower than what you were willing to pay from the get go? Maybe he did his homework in the meantime and found out the market value of the position.

^ Perhaps in some rare example I could be persuaded, but I doubt it. Sounds like one of those millenials asking for a raise every two weeks. Not my cup of tea. And I’m someone that values their word and that of others. If I make an offer, I stick to it. As a former trader, I’m surprised on your position on this. Guys that put a price out and then walk away from it or demand higher once its accepted have a very short shelf life in trading/sales.

Geo, you messing with me. I asked for a specific number, and they raised it. I couldnt gauge in the beginning their interest in me so I didnt get too greedy with my initial number. I think the most I couldve gotten is an additional $10k but from this point forward, the base is a huge determinant, from bonuses to raises.

You asked, they raised it. I don’t see how you can then ask for more without being a greedy asshole. Imagine you’re placing a trade: “I’ll sell you 100 barrels of WTI delivered March 30 at $52.” “Done.” “Umm… Well wait. How about $54?” You’re just commodity labour unless you’re some top 0.05% star. How can I take you seriously? I gave you MORE than what you demanded and then you demand more again? Think through what you’re asking and apply similar situations in your life. Make the right call. Don’t lose the opportunity.

Bringing this string back to life…

For the first time a headhunter asked for my current salary.

I act in a country where salaries are non-public information. I declined the request and instead gave a negotiable salary range. I said current salary is personal and also the standards don’t permit me to disclose confidential information that can harm my Employer. E.g. headhunter can use this confidential information to harm my employer.

now waiting to see whether A) I get to the 2nd interview B) I am declined for not being in same range as the client C) or if headhunter only wants to recommend sell-outs…

By the way, it doesn’t take a rocket scientists to figure out my current salary based on my lowest line in salary range and market surveys on my type of position…