Recruiter bashing

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Maybe you should print out those sites and carry > them around with you to prove your obscure > technical point that’s completely out of line with > modern usage to anyone who disagrees with you. Obscure technical point or something most 12 year olds know. This is crap, getting pissed off with somebody because they are actually correct and don’t misunderstand things like everybody else and remember the Job was in the Middle East so you know there is a certain amount of logic there that the experience meant to include the middle eastern part of Asia.

I could see why the misunderstanding but I’m definitely on the Middle East= ASIA side. That is the most broad and basic definition- concluding that ASIAN experiance excluded the middle east would require an assumption that that part of the continent was not considered. Yeah- it might be very dissimilar from Japan or other far east nations- but it is technically the asian continent. If a job required N. American experience and you worked out of Costa Rica would you not respond??

Captain WindJammer, you don’t need to be so cold in this discussion. My point is not to prove you were wrong but to show that 'middle east is officially known as middle east asia or west asia (JarJarBinks pointed it out clearly). Like some countries in Asia are known as Far East, some countries in Asia are kown under the title Middle East. If the Middle East is not a part of Asia, where does it belong? Europe or Africa? Not America or Australia anyway. I don’t need to print out anything to prove this unless I deal with people like …u. Like Blamey mentioned, it is not they way of debating on something which is not clear to both of us. Good luck

tom18606 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Captain WindJammer, you don’t need to be so cold > in this discussion. My point is not to prove you > were wrong but to show that 'middle east is > officially known as middle east asia or west asia > (JarJarBinks pointed it out clearly). > > Like some countries in Asia are known as Far East, > some countries in Asia are kown under the title > Middle East. > > If the Middle East is not a part of Asia, where > does it belong? Europe or Africa? Not America or > Australia anyway. > > I don’t need to print out anything to prove this > unless I deal with people like …u. Like Blamey > mentioned, it is not they way of debating on > something which is not clear to both of us. > > Good luck You reap what you sow…he responded in the same tone as your initial post about the recruiter. You just didn’t like it because it wasn’t directed at the recruiter, but instead, you. You are still missing the point between what is technically/theoretically correct and what is used in practice.

LePouline 133, the point was whether the Middle East is in Asia or not. When i worked there as part of my foreign assignment, it was mentioned as Asian assignment. The recruiter called me and asked me whether I had any experience in Asia. I told her I had experience in the Middle East. Then she said 'middle east is not in asia". i said ok and we hung up. If she told me that middle east experience is not considered for asian experience, i won’t say anything here. But officially the middle east is a part of asia not africa or europe or australia or america. Technically it may not be. Thanks for the comment anyway.

tom18606 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >If she told me that middle east experience is not considered for asian experience, i won’t say anything here. But wait, why not, the Middle East is in Asia?

business practices aside…(some companies in US consider Japan as separate from asian operations for business reasons) but in common parlance it ridiculous to call Japan as outside asia… its ridiculous for a recruiter to not know the geography while recruiting…there are 5 regions in asia which is normal usage… South Asia, South East Asia, Asia Pacific(japan and not aus), Central asia and mid east… may be it would have been better for the recruiter to just clarify taht they were not looking for mid east exp, but shouting on wrong info makes you a Jerk basically…

I have worked for several multinationals and in general the Middle East is used to refer to Saudia Arabia, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, UAE, Israel etc. It’s a region, not a continent. Egypt, which is on the of largest Middle Eastern countries, is in Africa. I really don’t think you have any reason to bash the recruiter because the Middle Eastern region covers countries in Europe, Africa and Asia, not just Asia.

You are probably right about my tone, sorry about that, it was uncalled for. The basic point remains though that if a job description calls for experience in “Asia”, they aren’t going to have in mind experience in the Middle East. I don’t see how anyone could disagree with that (if in fact anyone is doing so).

Okay, I think it’s pretty cleat that Tom never said that he didn’t make a mistake (one that’s easily forgiven because he is technically correct) but that the issue was the recruiters statement ‘BUT THE MIDDLE EAST IS NOT IN ASIA’, which (at least partially) it is. Also I assume the country in which Tom gained his experience was in both Asia and the Middle East. Obviously Toms geography isn’t great because the middle east is made up of Asian, African and European countries, still I too would have been pissed at the recruiter as I generally hate them but I have some as friend so I am not a biggot.

Also, if you go around saying things like “I just got back from Amman, and it was great. I love Asia.”, most people will think you’re wrong and a very few will think you sound like Niles Crane. If you go on to explain yourself, everyone will think you sound like Niles Crane.

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Also, if you go around saying things like “I just > got back from Amman, and it was great. I love > Asia.”, most people will think you’re wrong and a > very few will think you sound like Niles Crane. > If you go on to explain yourself, everyone will > think you sound like Niles Crane. American?

When someone says, “I am taking a trip to Asia,” they are not talking about the Middle East. They are talking about places like Japan, China, southeast Asia, etc. This is just common sense, and to stretch your experience to say you had Asian experience was reason for the recruiter to be a little upset. Although technically the Philippines are a part of Asia, that’s also a stretch. It’s more like a Pacific Islander type of country. I agree with Captain.

Ahoy Matey!

OF COURSE MIDLLE EAST IS ASIA. Guess what Izrael is ASIA. I know one think that American are very poor as far as geography concerns. No offense! Jimmy Kemmel Stop 15 American and ask them where Brasil. 14of them give the wrong answer. Brasil is America, South America is America. When you talk about a country, we need to locate in which continent it is located. For that reason alone Middle east is Asia Because every Middle country is an Asia. Note that NOT all Arab countries are in the Middle East. For Instant Egypt is in Africa but it is an Arab country. Nor Turkey, it is Europe.

I suppose someone from Egypt should say he/she is from Africa then. C’mon, when someone says I am African, you know what kind of person you are imagining. This is just common sense.

I think we’ve pretty much reached a consensus that 1) according to the technical geographical definition of “Asia” it includes much of what’s commonly referred to as the “Middle East”, though arguably not all of it, 2) the vast majority of the time, when people say “Asia” they don’t have in mind the Middle East, and 3) point 2) was more relevant to the initial post than point 1) - when a job description asks for experience in Asia one can assume they don’t have in mind experience in the Middle East.

This thread got way more traction than I ever thought it would.

topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I suppose someone from Egypt should say he/she is > from Africa then. C’mon, when someone says I am > African, you know what kind of person you are > imagining. This is just common sense. Of course, they will tell you. I play voleyball 3 times a week with 2 of them. THey will clear tell they are from North Africa Like Tunisia, Algeria, Morroco. And the are proud too. BTW, if you are little bit more sophiticated, you would know that Egypt is part of the African League. Although they are also part of the Arab League. This more for politics and religions. But geographycally, they locate in Africa. Period and Full stop. Do you also understand when you say Latin America? You still talk about America. Probably Not. And more over you, always try to attach a country with a continent. That is how we study Geography. I hope you NOT among those who believe that Africa is One country. OK! Tell how many country we have an America? Do not google. Answer me in 5 seconds :slight_smile:

Captain Windjammer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think we’ve pretty much reached a consensus that > 1) according to the technical geographical > definition of “Asia” it includes much of what’s > commonly referred to as the “Middle East”, though > arguably not all of it, 2) the vast majority of > the time, when people say “Asia” they don’t have > in mind the Middle East, and 3) point 2) was more > relevant to the initial post than point 1) - when > a job description asks for experience in Asia one > can assume they don’t have in mind experience in > the Middle East. Captain: With all do repect , I will have to disagree. Middle East is NOT continent It is a region like Caribeean, South America, Latin America. Understand that Haiti is Caribeean BUT NOT LAtin America altough Dominican Republic is Both Caribean and Latin America. FYI! Dominican Republic shares bother with Haiti and the whole Island is call Haiti. The only reason that Haiti is Not consider to be Latin America is because they speak french and Only countries that speak spanish can consider themselve as Latin. This where the word LATINO come from. I hope that you know LATINO is not Equal to MExican only:)