Reference of the CFA Examinations on CV - Violation

lol - can’t tell if you like to play obtuse or if you’re legitimately dumb. obviously, lead actor in drama club wouldn’t go on the resume because it’s not relevant to a finance job (well, most finance jobs). but passing 3 cfa exams in a row? that’s pretty relevant, in that it speaks to your intelligence and aptitude related to finance.

Perhaps you’re still in L1, perhaps it’s your age… i don’t blame you.

But you may as well talk about your drama experience on your CV, because in finance, you either have it or you don’t. You may think it’s such a huge accomplishment because you are right in the middle of it, but once you have completed the program, it’s just a small stepping stone in your career.

For employers, i don’t think they would see you in a different light if you have passed your tests once or twice… you may actually get more attention if you said you once played a lead role on braodway!

Lol. Stop it with the equivocating nonsense – lead actor in drama club and lead role on broadway are miles apart (your next response: but the acting fraternity on Broadway IS a drama club…)

You can get away with mentioning the latter but would look pretty dumb mentioning the former.

In any case, obviously the less experience and the fewer accomplishments you have, the more likely you are to mention that you passed all three on the first attempt. I said or implied nothing to the contrary. But that doesn’t mean it’s not a worthy accomplishment, and besides – it can take up less than a line on your resume.

p.s. You don’t know my age.

People who are in the middle of the program cares greatly about the exams and the importance of it, but people who are not in it or out of it really do care very little about it, it’s simply a “yes or no” thing on your resume. It’s like once you get out of university, very few jobs as for your transcript, yes it may be an accomplishment for you to have a 4.0 average, but a degree in Economics is a degree in Economics in most employers’ eyes, and if you’re 35 and still put your point grade average on your CV is just pitiful. Which brings me to your last comment - i wish you’re young and your grade point average is still worth bragging about!

:slight_smile:

There are enough egomaniacal narcissists in the financial world that you don’t want to indicate on your resume that you are likely to be one.

It’s great how Nana alternates between “girly girl” and “I just crushed your dreams little L1 candidate”.

passing 3 cfa exams in a row does not speak to anything about intelligence. These tests are not rocket science at all. Plain english, no higher math beyond elementary school.

at best, passing means you have a somewhat base knowledge of finance that’s useful. That’s about it.

Experience > passing CFA exams. 100% of the time.

There is no place for a girly girl in finance :slight_smile:

Though i must say, my job is only a (small) part of my life, it shouldn’t define my personality.

NANA

sorry, whose dreams did she crush?

For me the bold violates the standards, the rest just violates good taste.

In any case CFAI have a page explaining very clearly how to update your LinkedIn profile:

http://www.cfainstitute.org/community/social/Pages/profile.aspx

Guys, guys…aren’t we missing the point here in all of this bickering? Let us not lose sight of the fact that the elephant in the room is that we are dealing with an MSc in Finance from University College London here.

This overrides everything else on this resume. It’s hacksaw to the sack and circular file to the CV.

let’s say at the moment on the Education & Qualifications section of the CV I have:

CFA Institute

CFA Level 3 Candidate

once I have received the designation do I delete that part from my CV and just put CFA next to my name?

I think so, you are not obligated to put it under your resume, and you are entitled to use it behind your name once you’re a charterholder, i don’t see why not :slight_smile: