Religious Alternate Date Request

Referring to a religion as “meow-ruff-bow-wow” is blatantly condescending.

You completely miss the point there. Replace that with “religion X” and reread the post. It seems when you bring religion into any discussion, people’s sensitivity levels skyrocket and they become so easily offended…or other people’s sensitivity to strengthen their point.

I never said I didn’t understand your point, it does have merit. I was just responding to “Furthermore, I don’t see why this is an offensive comparison.” My post had nothing to do with religion here, I was just commenting on how the CFAI is not exactly accommodating to busy people by offering the L2 exam 1x / year when it is essentially the exact same administration and grading process as L1.

K, agreed. I think any smart AF regular reading our posts will see what we wrote explicitly and what we meant implicitly, at different levels of abstractions, if they care enough to dispassionately analyze it. I don’t want to argue about this anymore… Have a good day. :slight_smile:

bostonkev Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t want to argue > about this anymore… Too bad. bostonkev Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > ---------------------------------------- > > Fortunately, I believe that CFAI regards > requests > > from Jews observing the Sabbath as having more > > merit than requests from someone practicing > > “meow-moo-whatever”. It’s really a pretty > > offensive comparison. > > Furthermore, I don’t see why this is an offensive > comparison. What if religion “meow-moo-whatever” > translates to the religion of a small tribe in > Cambodia? Is it less important? If so, why? My > view is that all religions, even if I don’t > believe in them, should be treated with the same > respect. Your slant on this really makes me look > so bad. (especially when I’m so concerned about > this online screenname, LMAO) It used to be that when I saw the word Cambodia, I thought of Khmer Rouge, Ho Chi Minh trail, Kurtz and Willard and now I just think breast-milk. How did that happen? Anyway, decisions about what constitutes a legitimate religion happen all the time. People have claimed all kinds of religious privilege to conscientiously object to going to war, take illegal drugs, treat their children in ways that most of society finds offensive, avoid paying taxes, take excused time off from work and school, etc. The standards include things like amount of time the religion has existed, acceptance by other institutions, number of members, sincerity of belief, etc… A small Cambodian religion formed last year probably wouldn’t get an alternate date request approved. A small Cambodian religion that had existed for 1000 years that was practiced by your family and that you had practiced for years probably would. Since people will lie about religion when they don’t have it and create trouble for everyone, someone needs to make decisions and some of them are probably wrong.

True. Interesting points on definition. I just don’t want to argue more because this thread was becoming more off-topic and had potential to be a battle of egos instead of clarifications. I just wanted to clarify my position (since I hope to be part of the AF community from now until I pass Level 3…and onwards) and I didn’t want anyone to think that I was disrespecting Jews specifically or otherwise being a religiously intolerant arse in general.

whodey Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Referring to a religion as “meow-ruff-bow-wow” is > blatantly condescending. how about my religion, “fishy fishy”. we worship fish, and are damn proud of it. all our wedding occur on the 1st saturday of every june and december.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > whodey Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Referring to a religion as “meow-ruff-bow-wow” > is > > blatantly condescending. > > > how about my religion, “fishy fishy”. we worship > fish, and are damn proud of it. all our wedding > occur on the 1st saturday of every june and > december. Seriously man, try to have a point…or if it’s meant to be a joke make sure it’s a) mildly humorous and b) original, not just a re-word of what the guy 4 posts in front of you wrote. I mean everybody has differing views and opinions here and every one of them is just as valid as the next, but commenting on how I pointed out that referring to religion as “meow-ruff-bow-wow” is condescending with something like this is pretty lame and way off the point of the whole thread.

wow, you really need to get laid, dude. too bad its just monday.

simple solution: make all exams on first monday of the month.

Call the bride-to-be and ask for her advice. I’m sure she will be understanding.