Research Assistant pay in Canada

Here’s some advice…it’s an entry level position, take it, get some experience and pay will come later.

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here’s some advice…it’s an entry level position, > take it, get some experience and pay will come > later. here, here. take it, pass some CFA, and then hop to something better, either internally, or externally, in 1 or 2 years. i’m all about up or out at the junior levels – no point in wasting time if you can get away with it.

I wouldn’t even worry about the pay…I can guarantee if it’s at a CAD bank it’ll be north of 45K. Entry level is about learning and contacts.

I know Turkish, I don’t care about salary as long as it’s north of 45K. I just want to know what to say as a ballpark figure when they ask me what I expect.

Say 52.

Hehe thanks

Turksih, is the job market still strong in T.O. I need to get out of BO land soon!

Definitely slowing down a bit, certainly ops still exist. Have you narrowed your focus, still buyside?

Either or. I just need to get of the fax! I want to go somewhere I can work like a dog (since I don’t know a soul in T.O.), make contacts and have a chance to move up. If that is sell side so be it.

Send me an e-mail, I think I may have some ideas.

sent

Turkish, got any good ideas for me?

Yeah, burn’em and churn’em… As far as I can tell you want to get into I-banking…so you should put MBA on your CV.

Turkish, my ibanking dreams have been squashed. Can I email you?

Turkish, I see that a lot of people know you on here and ask for your advice! You also posted on my topic, which I appreciate. Could you tell me a little about yourself and what you do? Are you a Charter Holder? Would love to pick your brains if that’s ok?! as it seems like you know a lot about the industry. Thanks again

Actually, there are a ton of other resident experts much more qualified than me. Joe, Numi, Bambi to name a few. No charter yet in fact, but I worked in the industry in a few capacities, Associate in HNW sales, Associate PM for a CAD equity manager and structuring closed-end funds. My ability to do numerous jager-bombs on a Thursday night and still make it to my desk by 7:30am on Friday is easily my greatest skill.

Turkish, Are you in TO area? I hear the job market there is even more competitive than in Vancouver now a days. CFAs and Candidates tripping over each other’s feet. Is that true?

Turkish & N.VanCandidate, I would also like to hear about the various job markets in Canada. I’m currently working as a revenue analyst at a software company(my first finance related job, I was an engineer) and am a level III candidate. Probably will be looking again once I pass Level III upcoming June. Thank you in advance. Cheers.

disciple, I would say with L3 under your belt you will get the interview but you will really have to sell them on why you would be a good fit w/o any real finance experience. But the fact that you have the education done is half the battle. I would be looking into entry level Analyst roles; if I were you…you will probably take a pay cut for a couple of years if you are in the software industry right now. Another way you might want to break your way into investment world (if that is what you want) is to get a Business Analyst position in brokerage firms. It will be very easy for you given your software and engineer experience and you will definitely get to use your finance skills from CFA and gain the work experience for the charter. You will also gain a lot of contacts in the field. On another note, how come so many engineers are getting into finance now a days???

Frank, I received your e-mail. Things have picked up towards the end of the day here, I’ll get back to you soon.