Resume + CFA

No, we are level 2 candidates.

that’s what I thought too, let me go dig up that question on schweser tonight…

tsttse Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I remember one of the questions on Schweser sample > exam was that. You are only a level 2 candidate > if you pass. ie right now we are still level 1 > candidates, not yet level 2 candidates. > > I remember this very well because on the resume > for the past few months I had “Level 2 > candidate”… which was a violation… Not true, you are level 2 candidate, unless you are on wrong thread. When you register to sit for Level 1 you are level 1 candidate. You can’t put Level 3 candidate until you pass level 2 AND register for level 3. You cannot put level X candidate if you are not registered, but you can say passed level X. As for me, prolly not putting anything till I can put CFA after my name.

I put it with my Certifications: registered for the CFA Level 2 Exam in June 09 (currently awaiting exam results).

I have CFA level II candidate under some category other than education such as other skills/qualifications (can’t remember exactly what I put down on my last CV). I mention some valuations courses I’ve taken there too and my GRE scores etc. Now that I think of it, it might make more sense to have it in the education section before my masters. Certainly no problem with you doing that. If you eventually get your charter, I would put CFA after you name right at the top so that its crystal clear that you have it.

disregard my previous post, i double checked and i misread the question…

I put “CFA, Level II Candidate” in a Professional Certifications section that’s separate from Education. I figured I’ll leave it there until I actually get a charter, at which time the letters will move up, behind my name. I didn’t bother with adding dates or when results are expected. Figured any employer who values the certification will know that my being a candidate means I’ll either take the exam in June, or, if it’s after June, that I’ll get results in August. At that point I’ll either still be a L2 candidate for next year, or I’ll change it to L3 candidate because I’ll have signed up for the next one.

Can you have the date of the exams in there ?

i did (see my post above)

Under Professional Certifications/Memberships Level II candidate in the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program Education section is generally restricted to degree work at recognized academic institutions.

I kno … but its so hard to fit another section and all on 1 page

PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS, CERTIFICATES AND INDUSTRY INVOLVEMENT CERFTIFIED FINANCIAL ANALYST INSTITUTE 2008 – Present Time • Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) Program, level II candidate.

readytopass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I kno … but its so hard to fit another section > and all on 1 page Find a way. Cut out some unimportant old stuff, combine positions with same employer into one section, expand margins, reduce fonts, etc. Most likely, a lot of the stuff you are cramming into your resume could be better presented in your cover letter.

Cover letter? Honestly, come on. No one reads cover letters. Honestly, I’ve shaved out all of the unimportant old stuff and consolidated the relevant information. Its a real struggle to get another section in. I tried a new format that involved columns in a section that opened up a ton of space, but I received some negative feedback on it. So I’m not sure what the plan is.

readytopass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Cover letter? Honestly, come on. No one reads > cover letters. > Yeah, honestly. If you don’t have time to write me a cover letter, I don’t have time to look at your resume. I’m not talking hypothetically either. I’ve tossed at least 50 resumes in the past year because they didn’t have a cover letter.

readytopass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Cover letter? Honestly, come on. No one reads > cover letters. > > Honestly, I’ve shaved out all of the unimportant > old stuff and consolidated the relevant > information. Its a real struggle to get another > section in. > > I tried a new format that involved columns in a > section that opened up a ton of space, but I > received some negative feedback on it. So I’m not > sure what the plan is. Disagree. A good cover letter will make all the difference between your resume getting tossed in the pile with the others and your resume actually getting read. Note, I did say a good cover letter. A 3-page essay that rambles on and on will likely result in your resume going straight in the recycle bin.

I think the cover letter is replaced by the e-mail you send to your prospective employer. I basically put a cover letter type e-mail together, 3 paragraphs, with resume attached…

readytopass Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think the cover letter is replaced by the e-mail > you send to your prospective employer. I > basically put a cover letter type e-mail together, > 3 paragraphs, with resume attached… The email is fine as long as it is going directly to the decision maker and the decision maker is comfortable with email. There are still a lot of old school folks out there who aren’t comfortable with email. The other risk of using the email message as your cover letter is that the person screening the resumes might not print the email, just the resume, before passing it on. If you include a pdf that’s both the cover letter and the resume, both will be printed and passed along. Remember, the person or persons who will decide if you get an interview and eventually get hired are not the head hunters or HR people, they are professionals with 8 million other things to do that day and they’ve probably seen 500 resumes that look just like yours. If you make it easier for them to choose to look at your resume and show them that you are actually interested in working specifically for them, your chances will increase dramatically. And as I said before, find a way to get your resume to one page. I’ve managed to fit 15+ years of work experience, a couple of degrees and a bunch of professional affiliations into a single page, so I’m sure you can too.

Take a look at my resume on razume: http://razume.com/documents/10325. Let me know what you think. Its an experiment in formatting, I have received mixed feedback on it.

YeeS_Mos Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS, CERTIFICATES AND > INDUSTRY INVOLVEMENT > > CERFTIFIED FINANCIAL ANALYST INSTITUTE > 2008 – Present Time > • Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) Program, level > II candidate. Certified?? How about Chartered? Standard 7B homes.