Road to a portfolio mananger

i mean managing a portfolio that is sold as ETF.

Right…so let me get this straight…we are comparing the US and Canada, again? Gents please, there is little point. Back to PM #1 vs. PM #2 vs. PM #3? I would say that if you are really interested in investments, then being 3 is best while if you want to lead a diverse life, than PM 1 is best. Willy

this is really a pointless question -> as others have probably stated before me. If you want to be a PM, perhaps an assistant/associate/junior PM role (or buyside researcher) is a good place to start. Titles vary, but this question is a little ridiculous.

WillyR, The answer to that question really depends on where your skill set lies. In Canada if you goal is to make money you best bet is probibly to go for PM#1 at a big shop. Average book at RBC DS 150MM but lets say as a PIM that your book is 250MM b/c yoy can attract higher net worth clients etc. Generally you will charge about 125bpts(on average) and net back 65-75bpts. Work that out to about 1.7M ( net 70btps) total comp from whch you will probibly pay out 200k in salery and benefits to an reseach associate and additional assistant leaving you with 1.5M per year taxable income. Your book also has value of abotu 2-3 year gross revenue so when you want to quit your have a 3-4M “buy out”. At 1.5M per year you are not the BSD of the world but…