Sad day...I want out

Cranking out my essays right now for R2

I want to start my own business in a couple more years. I would regard myself as passionate about the markets and the macroeconomy in general but one day soon I want to wake up in the morning and not be working for the man anymore. Numi - If you want to move into strategy and management, what are you thinking? Management consultancy? Setting up your own business might be a good option for you. Of course you need a good idea and probably a reasonable amount of capital too.

Yes, I’m hoping to get into strategy consulting post-MBA – would definitely like to do something more entrepreneurial in the future since I’m not a particularly corporate person, but haven’t made that jump yet since I don’t yet have that brilliant business idea. In any case, I do find myself more interested in strategy/management at this time and it’s something I’d be curious to explore further. Would love to be CEO of some type of firm in the long run.

Interesting. Anybody out there already made the switch from FO finance to consulting? Happy with your decision?

I feel the same way as the OP, but I’m not in finance. I’m one of the buffoons who thinks he can make the switch from software to finance. The last couple of days I’m not so sure what I’m going to do. Taking a serious pay cut would be hard now that the family is started and I’m not getting any younger. When I’m not busy at work I’m bored out of my mind and when we’re busy I can’t stand the work.

^ See what you did, NorthernCFA? You’re bringing all that negativity to AF and other posters are following your line of thought. Not good. Numi, teach them a lesson of good attitude.

Mid 30’s CFA here; dead end job at a financial insurance company…prospects bleak…spent a decade getting a Master’s, CFA, job experience and now the market deems my skill set to be worthless…beginning to feel empty So compare me to you and feel better

People in China make $2K a year working as a piece of human construction machinery, move bricks from pile A to pile B with wheelbarrow, repeat 30yrs, die. So compare to anything close to reality and feel better.

Part-time Crook Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ See what you did, NorthernCFA? You’re bringing > all that negativity to AF and other posters are > following your line of thought. Not good. > > Numi, teach them a lesson of good attitude. Not what I meant, but it seems to be going that way. I have decided I would enjoy a change!!!

Yep, as humans we enjoy good change up, you have to keep moving. Some days I think about quitting and pounding nails into roofs or something physical, get a tan, work with the body and nature all day instead of the mind. But once you are successful the money is hard to give up.

pu239 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >I’m not getting any younger That right there is your problem. Invent or discover youth potion and I’m sure numi could come up with a decent business plan. Then again, youth potion pretty much sells itself.