Salary expection question

to be honest, it’s going to be hard for a CSA role with your background. it’s not heavy investment analysis related, but they like people from in the industry so that they know about different fund offering and the various different type of consulting firms etc. I think you are going in the wrong field, with your background you definitely should be more of a research analysis guy. cause don’t get the idea that once you become a CSA it will become easier to get into an analysis role, cause it won’t. CSA roles go into more client management etc at the firm and it’s really hard to transition into a PM role. You will most like visit consulting firms and highnet worth clients and do presentation with the PM, etc.

to be honest, it’s going to be hard for a CSA role with your background. it’s not heavy investment analysis related, but they like people from in the industry so that they know about different fund offering and the various different type of consulting firms etc. I think you are going in the wrong field, with your background you definitely should be more of a research analysis guy. cause don’t get the idea that once you become a CSA it will become easier to get into an analysis role, cause it won’t. CSA roles go into more client management etc at the firm and it’s really hard to transition into a PM role. You will most like visit consulting firms and highnet worth clients and do presentation with the PM, etc.

folks - i said the CA “may lead to better things”, which “may” or may not be the case, but it is certainly not unlikely. 90% of people who earn their CA leave the audit profession after two years of articling. In fact, you don’t even need to audit anymore for your articling experience; instead, you can practice tax or financial advisory. The academic aspect of the program is rigourous and believe it or not the work experience is boring but it provides you with a very in depth understanding of financial statements that the CFA program simply does not provide. The perception that “CA = auditor” is an understandable misconception, but it’s simply not the case. In fact, many CAs in high rankings are not even CFOs let alone auditors or accountants. Examples of CAs: - Allan Hibben, CA - CEO of RBC Capital Partners. - Dominic D’Alessandro, CA - CEO of Manulife Financial. - Ian Clarke, CA – CFO and EVP of Business Development, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd - Barbara Stymiest, FCA – COO of RBC Financial Group - James Balsillie, CA – Chairman and Co-CEO of Research in Motion Ltd, creators of the BlackBerry. - Dennis Kavelman, CA – CFO of Research in Motion Ltd. - Allan Horn, CA - CEO of Rogers Communications. (COO and CFO are also CAs) - George Rossolatos, CA - Co-Founder and Partner, TorQuest Capital. - Michael Lay, CA - Managing Partner, ONCAP Private Equity. - Phil King, CA – President of TSN. - Kevin Kerr, CA - VP Infrastructure Investments, Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. - Ian Kidson, CA - Managing Director and Co-Head of TD Capital Mezzanine Partners. - Ali Pejman, CA - Managing Director, Canacord Investment Banking. - George Melville, FCA - Chairman and owner of Boston Pizza International - Dave Cobb, CA - EVP, Vancouver 2010 Olympic Committee (formerly COO of the Vancouver Canucks) - Brandt Louie, FCA - President and CEO of H.Y. Louie Co. Limited ($4B private co). The CA can be much better path than you’re giving it credit for, but I honestly find it a waste of breath on this forum to tell people that, as people do not understand what CAs actually do when they finish articling. On that note, I’ll stop here. ozzie - i would take you up on the $1M but I actually don’t even have a dog. I was being facetious. Apologies if I offended anyone…was just being sarcastic, as I honestly thought the compensation estimates were signaficantly overshot.

bhill020 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > folks - i said the CA “may lead to better things”, > which “may” or may not be the case, but it is > certainly not unlikely. 90% of people who earn > their CA leave the audit profession after two > years of articling. In fact, you don’t even need > to audit anymore for your articling experience; > instead, you can practice tax or financial > advisory. The academic aspect of the program is > rigourous and believe it or not the work > experience is boring but it provides you with a > very in depth understanding of financial > statements that the CFA program simply does not > provide. > > The perception that “CA = auditor” is an > understandable misconception, but it’s simply not > the case. In fact, many CAs in high rankings are > not even CFOs let alone auditors or accountants. > > Examples of CAs: > > - Allan Hibben, CA - CEO of RBC Capital Partners. > - Dominic D’Alessandro, CA - CEO of Manulife > Financial. > - Ian Clarke, CA – CFO and EVP of Business > Development, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment > Ltd > - Barbara Stymiest, FCA – COO of RBC Financial > Group > - James Balsillie, CA – Chairman and Co-CEO of > Research in Motion Ltd, creators of the > BlackBerry. > - Dennis Kavelman, CA – CFO of Research in Motion > Ltd. > - Allan Horn, CA - CEO of Rogers Communications. > (COO and CFO are also CAs) > - George Rossolatos, CA - Co-Founder and Partner, > TorQuest Capital. > - Michael Lay, CA - Managing Partner, ONCAP > Private Equity. > - Phil King, CA – President of TSN. > - Kevin Kerr, CA - VP Infrastructure Investments, > Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. > - Ian Kidson, CA - Managing Director and Co-Head > of TD Capital Mezzanine Partners. > - Ali Pejman, CA - Managing Director, Canacord > Investment Banking. > - George Melville, FCA - Chairman and owner of > Boston Pizza International > - Dave Cobb, CA - EVP, Vancouver 2010 Olympic > Committee (formerly COO of the Vancouver Canucks) > - Brandt Louie, FCA - President and CEO of H.Y. > Louie Co. Limited ($4B private co). > > The CA can be much better path than you’re giving > it credit for, but I honestly find it a waste of > breath on this forum to tell people that, as > people do not understand what CAs actually do when > they finish articling. On that note, I’ll stop > here. > > ozzie - i would take you up on the $1M but I > actually don’t even have a dog. I was being > facetious. Apologies if I offended anyone…was > just being sarcastic, as I honestly thought the > compensation estimates were signaficantly > overshot. That is such a BS post, why don’t you post that on the CA forum instead of the CFA forum, go find the CAs that are CEO or CFO in an actual investment management firm. or even CA in Investment Consulting firms, very unlikely. They are usually CFAs or FSAs (acturaries). Additionally, by giving such statements you are also undermining the CFA program. Majority of those people do not deal with investments or investment analysis. So please give a better rebuttal next time instead of just showing irrevlant information. Not to mention that you can find more MBA on those positions, so why not tell people to do their MBAs instead of the weak ass CA. On that note, I’ll stop here.

bhill020 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m pretty sure my dog could learn > GIPS and he is not a CFA charterholder. Thank God ! We should not let the CFA charter go to the dogs …

For this type of job in Boston i’m thinking… 55k Max ~45k is realistic 36k min Zero bonus. Can you probably do client services, relationship management, or consultant relations after you finish with the CFA program with this work experience or make the move to investment consulting. P.S. I work in investment consulting and don’t expect a six figure salary to come that easy.

45K. This is NOT close to a back office job, this IS a back off job. One of my friends is doing this type of job for a “leading global wealth and asset management firm” based in Chicago and he is making about 43K after working there for 2 years. Isura, sorry if this may sound disappointing.

Isura, you are smarter than this position. My $0.02

Put something like “my salary expectations are from $X to $Y, or the market salary range for this position.” It’s definitely possible to shoot yourself in the foot by putting something too low or too high, so having the blanket “market range” in there helps cover your bases.

I agree with most of the above posts, as this is pretty much BO. I’d say in the range of 45-50K. Good luck, but yeah, with an engineering and math background you would be better off in research. You’ll find this pretty boring after the initial excitement wears off.

whystudy - you sould probably get back to studying and try to work your way out of that admin job. Take another look at those companies pal. This is childish and I am finished with this post. CFA is the premier investment management designation in the world. That is my view. Thanks, though.

37-45k This is back office position for undergrads. Unless there is more to the posting… I don’t see how any of you can say it is in the 60-70k range.

This sounds very similar (correct me if I’m wrong) to those investment advisor’s assistant/associate positions at any of the Canadian banks, I’ve seen a ton of postings in Toronto for these. The duties seem to be very similar, open new client accounts, respond to client requests, help the PM/IA with presentations, etc. Their education requirement is usually “some college diploma”, and CSC. It is an admin type job and it is really sales focused as oppose to any analysis. So it depends what you want to do few years down the road. If you want to get into anytical roles later on, this position is probably of very little use. You should ask your potential employer what kind of positions would open up to you within the company after you’ve spent say… a year or two in this position. In other words, where did people move who previously had this role. To answer the question, I think 40-45k is the range for this kind of job.

$48-50k. Did hire last year a simlar profile for 50k. The are 000s of students on the street looking for job today.

Are you guys on crack? 145K? What? Yen??? Any job that says “commitment to the financial services industry” is a very junior job. I’d be surprised if it was $65K all in (US, NE). No CA or CFA. Just yessir, nosir.

samnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you guys on crack? 145K? What? Yen??? > > Any job that says “commitment to the financial > services industry” is a very junior job. I’d be > surprised if it was $65K all in. No CA or CFA. > Just yessir, nosir. The real funny part of the 145K breakdown is the "signing bonus " I can’t stop laughing at this one :slight_smile:

so i guess im the only one that found the 145k amusing. it was clearly a joke - and a very funny one! agree the job is a very junion one, worth no more then 45-55k. minimal bonus. a job is a job though so it may not be an option to hold out until something better comes along. i work in accg within the back office of a Sydney ibank and alot of the guys here have at least level 2 CFA. the market is tough

Isura - you should definitely ask for a salary…you still gotta eat occasionally

low 40’s…