Schweser Vs. official CFA institute study materials

I am getting ready to take the L1 exam in December. The tricky part is the grading time. I won’t know if I passed it until January 2008. If we assume that I pass I’d like to prepare for L2 in June 2008; so I’d like to start studying right away, in December 2007. Therefore I thought of ordering Schweser study materials for L2 before I receive an official notification from the CFA institute about my L1 exam. How different are Schweser study materials from the official CFA institute study materials? Are they better or worse, more or less voluminous, more or less detailed, etc? In short, are there any significant differences between the two study materials and if yes, what are they? If you have any experience with the study materials in question I would appreciate if you share them. Thank you.

"Therefore I thought of ordering Schweser study materials for L2 before I receive an official notification from the CFA institute about my L1 exam. " Not sure you can order L2 material from Institute without passing L1, because the price for the material is included in the registration for L2.

Looks like he was talking about ordering SCHWESER study materials, the price of which is not included in exam registration! moregreat Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > "Therefore I thought of ordering Schweser study > materials for L2 before I receive an official > notification from the CFA institute about my L1 > exam. " > > Not sure you can order L2 material from Institute > without passing L1, because the price for the > material is included in the registration for L2.

i will be taking L1 in DEC 07. i will until i get the results. i dont think you can register for L2 without passing L1. also, the curriculum is included in the registration fee… so CFA curriculum is not really a choice. even if you start L2 by end jan, you have plenty of time ( 4 months). i would think schweser L2 follows the same pattern as L1. it is not as detailed as CFA. you would expect 600 pages being compressed into 150 o 200. even if the curriculum was not a choice, i would go for it.

i will be taking L1 in DEC 07. i will until i get the results. i dont think you can register for L2 without passing L1. also, the curriculum is included in the registration fee… so CFA curriculum is not really a choice. even if you start L2 by end jan, you have plenty of time ( 4 months). i would think schweser L2 follows the same pattern as L1. it is not as detailed as CFA. you would expect 600 pages being compressed into 150 o 200. even if the curriculum was not a must, i would go for it.

If you know you passed L1 (like many of you will after the exam), why not order the Schweser L2 material and start studying? You can always review with the CFAI L2 material when you get them in February. It’s a difference of two months!