Schwesser or Stalla notes.

Hello, I am looking to take my CFA in June 2010 with 7city. They give you the option of using Schwesser or Stalla. What experience does anyone have with these books? I am also tempted to use the question bank program. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it? I have only done Maths up to the age of 16 and economics at University… Will I be able to cope with the maths involved if I work solidly at it? What is included in the 7city distance learning packs? Do you get the standard CFA books or just their versions? If it is just their versions… Are they suitable to pass with? A lot of questions I know but I didn’t see the point in listing lots of different topics. Cheers.

I have no experience with 7city, but I used the CFAI texts, the Schweser notes, and the Schweser Q-Bank. The Schweser package is decent- the notes over-simplified sometimes, but they were definitely useful. The Q-Bank was also extremely useful in reinforcing concepts. From what I’ve heard, Stalla’s package is just as good, but I didn’t use it. The material in level one isn’t difficult, so you won’t have many issues there. The problem is simply volume- if you’re dedicated and work hard, you’ll pass. Good luck!

Hi, Cheers for the response. 7 city gives you the option of Stalla and Schwesser as I previously mentioned… I’ll go with Schwesser if there is a general consensus there. I think I’ll give the Qbank a look in to. I’m well aware it will be a lot of work so I’m thinking maybe to give it until June as I’m working in NY at the moment and won’t be home until mid September. How many hours did you put in? I have seen the CFA standard books and they look incredibly wordy. I am looking into 7 as they also give you online tutorials and I have some experience with them over doing my IAQ and they were very comprehensive… Did you learn the materials by studying them yourself or did you attend classes? Also can I ask how old most people are? Just want to get a feel of what sort of age people commit to this… Cheers

One more thing… Does anyoe know the percentage of people that pass using 7city (roughly). Thanks again

SE33 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi, > > Cheers for the response. 7 city gives you the > option of Stalla and Schwesser as I previously > mentioned… I’ll go with Schwesser if there is a > general consensus there. I think I’ll give the > Qbank a look in to. I’m well aware it will be a > lot of work so I’m thinking maybe to give it until > June as I’m working in NY at the moment and won’t > be home until mid September. > > How many hours did you put in? I have seen the CFA > standard books and they look incredibly wordy. I > am looking into 7 as they also give you online > tutorials and I have some experience with them > over doing my IAQ and they were very > comprehensive… > > Did you learn the materials by studying them > yourself or did you attend classes? Also can I ask > how old most people are? Just want to get a feel > of what sort of age people commit to this… > > Cheers I have not heard anything about 7city, so I can not comment on their program. I used Schweser and thought that it was more than adequate for L1. As for Stalla, it gets rave reviews, but I have not personally used it either. As for the materials, I studied myself. Classes were not available in my area, but I’m 99% sure that I wouldn’t have taken one anyways. I learn much better on my own rather than in group settings where I tend to get distracted and not focus on the subject as much. I’m 23. The range of ages is wide, but I’d say that most are in their 20’s.

If you have a finance background in undergrad, Schwesser is better for reviewing things that you’ve seen before. Stalla gets into a little more depth (and is longer) if you haven’t seen the material before. For me, I did Stalla and liked it.