Scored Above 70% in all CFA programme on CV, Violation (Yes or Not)

I agree-- the important point is that you passed. I think it would be silly to include score bands on your resume.

I was going to stay off AF for a while, but this thread is too good to pass up.

CFAI doesn’t seem to go out of its way to recognize candates with superior performance overall or strong performance across all sections of the exam. There is no CFAI award comparable to the Elijah Watt Sells Award, for example, that is bestowed on CPA candidates who score above 95% across all for sections of the exam on their first try.

Anyway, indicating that you scored in the top band (>70%) across all sections isn’t a violation. See the answer to Question 29 (Reading 2). You cannot, however, imply that you achieved a high score though since scores aren’t disclosed. All you really know is that you achieved at least 71% across all sections of the exam, which might be relatively high given the candidate pool but is hardly exemplary (I’d be happy with it though. Thrilled, actually)

I remember seeing an example where a candidate stated that he “achieved maximum scores in all topic areas” and this was a violation with the explanation that due to the score band scoring method, 70+ does not constitute a “maximum score” and is misleading.

I never saw an explicit example regarding stating “I achieved 70+ in all topic areas” but my guess would be its a factual statement and therefore not a violation.

But I agree with S2000…email the CFAI to make sure :slight_smile:

lol, things are highly contested everywhere my dear…lol… However, i am just trying to get my head around it to be sure its not a violation.

I don’t think it does really… “indicator of the score range” is implied as a synonym for “performance”.

“score” by itself is a much stronger term and therefore I’d treat it as using caps or bold letters.

I see your point that they don’t explicitly say score equals performance, but I don’t think they would dance so close to the line with the way they present the explanation. Direct from the CFAI website, so I can point out what I’m referring to (I have italicized the key parts):

" Your topic area performance is provided to illustrate your areas of strength and areas for improvement. This information is designed to guide you in preparing for future exams. The summary lists:

• Each topic area covered on the exam
  • The maximum points that could be earned in that topic area
  • An indicator of the score range (≤50%, 51%–70%, or >70%) in which your score in that topic area fell."

It seems they are taking the broad idea of performance and telling you that it is defined by “an indicator of the score range”-- the range of possible values that includes your score in a topic (but does not precisely define your score). They explicitly say that your score falls in this range, and they already said performance is indicated by the range. It seems logical to connect all of these dots, but maybe I’m missing something in the Institute’s explanation.

I’m being genuine when I tell you it is very easy for me to read and follow your points in this post (which is probably why I don’t mind using it myself). However, I only use it when someone else hasn’t used it, so I avoid a messy reply. I reply in that way to assure, in a clear manner, that I have addressed all the points I intended to in my reply. I’m sorry— I still don’t understand how this is related to screaming.

I believe facts come from drawing conclusions from substantial, verifiable information (although we can be erroneous in our conclusions at times). I still see some gaps in your logic—if anything, I would find the “I scored in the highest band” comment to be an attempt to stand out.

Either way, if you want my personal opinion, I believe people deserve recognition for achievements. If a candidate wanted to share the score bands (or an exact score if one was provided), I think they have every right to do so if it is within the Institute’s guidelines. I think that is perfectly fair, but it should be done in a tactful manner. We all have different strengths/talents/abilities, and we can be more productive when we recognize that in the right way.

Not a violation as long as state it literally. you can’t indicate better performance, and you can’t say “top scores on CFA exam”.

But it is dbag-like behavior.

if i saw that joint on a resume ill ding you fast

IMO - It’s a violation. Why do you want to put that in your CV? Indirectly - you’re trying to make a statement that you are superior than some of the other CFA charterholders. CFA Institute doesn’t distinguish between all that passed …

You could drop a line to CFA institute to find more but my opinion it’s clearly a violation.

For me, I wouldn’t put it on the resume (for various reasons people have mentioned). However, if you feel that it’s a violation for that reason, then surely you feel that saying “passed each level on first attempt” is a violation for the same reason, no? I’m just curious about the stance people take on the “passed on first attempt” comments (that are allowed) if they believe that “>70%” comments would be a violation.

Does anyone actually put that they passed the exams in consecutive years? If I saw that on a resume I would assume the person was a tool. Seeing this would also probably get a pass by me.

The thread discuss largely this, but it wouldn’t be an explicit violation because the code does not take account this case as a misrepresentation, a violation to the VII standard, or any other as far as “we all” know. Many members said that is better to directly ask CFAI if it is a violation, or not, to the code.

In my opinion, is near a violation because it borders a performance misrepresentation and the CFAI says that those bands are for personal and study references, it is not a grade that can be disclosed in the way many people is used to do.

They did it in half the time it takes the average person (if they knocked it out in 2 years like I did). Haters gonna hate.

I was curious whether people who pass consecutively would ding someone else who puts it on a resume (in comparison to people who take longer with the exams). I wouldn’t ding someone, regardless of my personal performance, but I also wouldn’t give someone a boost because of it, either (even though I think it can be an accomplishment).

I remember people in school automatically labeled the guy scoring >95% as a jerk because he ruined the curve…shame on him for being motivated and/or more intelligent (not saying that’s the case here, but I have seen bitterness expressed by a charterholder because others did well while he struggled to make it through…)

Im not dinging him for the fact that passed in consecutive attempts, I just think putting it on a resume is kind of douchey. If you have the CFA charter this isnt your first job, so it would be like putting your GPA on your resume (which after your first job IMO would just show personality traits of someone I would not enjoy working with)

In the end you have to work with these people, and its a personal choice to make. If I am looking at resumes in my eyes I view it as a slight negative. I would still give the resume a look and interview if I liked how the rest of it looked.

True, I didn’t mean dinging someone because they passed, but rather because they wrote it on the resume. I agree with you, if they’re a charterholder it’s fairly irrelevant because they’ve been working for a bit (almost makes you ask if they have other accomplishments since then). I was looking at it as someone with limited work experience, perhaps even someone switching industries (so they don’t have the charter yet), but passed all of the exams.

Got ya, I suppose in a situation where you are not in the industry at all it may get your resume looked at a bit more. Completely agree on the other accomplishments bit, even if you put that you passed in consecutive order, you better have something better than that to hang your hat on.

I do not think I would like to either hire someone who brags about the CFA exam score or work for a company which demands such a score from job candidates as a pre-selection criterion.

It somehow signals a lack of style to me.