Series 7 & 63

Rasac, Good luck, but these are not hard. You need the Series 7 and 63 to work in sales & trading, for research you need Series 7/63/86/87. I have no idea about the 79, never heard of any one getting it.

rasec, study time varies really. Instead of benchmarking your time, everything I have read suggests you look at where you stand on the practice exams. If you can consistently score above 80% on practice exams, you should be ready to roll.

email me if you want a S7 study guide.

Im also preparing for Series 7 now, and wondering if I can pick up notes that give you a short version explanation of the different acts and strategies etc… I have taken L1 & L2, so dont want to spend much time on taking the 7. From what I understand its quite easy, so long as you put in the time. I think its important to have the condensed version you can drill and thats what im looking for. Any suggestions? Im using original STC books right now, and its lengthy… Thanks in advance.

I was so bored reading through the Kaplan guide I just installed their question bank and did ~2,000 questions over the course of a few days. I ended up scoring in the mid 80s on the 7 and was ridiculed at my firm for “over studying”. My advice: Don’t even read through the books. Just do as many practice questions as possible.

Chuck, Any sections you recommend I read? You think I can get away without reading the book at all? Can I really score over 70 with just doing the questions? I understand that the answers will actually give me a good knowledge base… but Im not sure if thats the right approach… perhaps part of a right approach… but some background is needed… Let me know what you think… THanks in advance…

Yeah the Series 7 is not hard, I think i squeaked by with a 72 with far less studying than what was suggested…and for someone with level I or II, it should be a cakewalk. I have some Deadborn ‘Audio Hotsheets’, that I used to pass. I could send them to you if you want, although they are about 5 yrs old.

i dont know every says they pass without reading the material. a lot of questions are very specifc (ie which exchanges report on which tapes, how many signatues are needed for what accounts) i say its all BS…and i’m an L3 guy im going the safe route and reading it all then 2000 STC questions over 2.5 weeks before the exam started reading Oct 17th will be done reading the 6th (while having done all the Smart 7 questions along the way) and then will just hit STC until my exam day, the day before thanks giving. gotta bang out the 7, 63, and 87 before Jan 1 so i can start my L3 prep.

Spreads, I would be interested in the audio hotsheets

Xtrader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Chuck, > > Any sections you recommend I read? You think I can > get away without reading the book at all? Can I > really score over 70 with just doing the > questions? I understand that the answers will > actually give me a good knowledge base… but Im > not sure if thats the right approach… perhaps > part of a right approach… but some background is > needed… > > Let me know what you think… > > THanks in advance… The bulk of the 7 is options and municipal bonds. Those two topics comprise 60% of the exam. Munis were new to me when I took the 7. I thought I would see some complicated options questions on the exam, but almost laughed at how incredibly easythey were. The most complex option question you’ll see is a credit or debit spread where you have to calculate the gain/loss based on the current stock price. I had recently passed L1 when I took the 7. There’s a little overlap but not much i.e. CFA L1 does not cover muni bond syndicates. You can study for the 7 in two ways 1) Study for it like any other exam. Read all of the books and do all of the questions. You might actually learn a thing or two this way or 2) Focus entirely on the practice questions. The curriculum of the 7 is set so there’s only a handful of ways they can test you on the subject material. You can easily study for the 7 with method 2, but the exact opposite is true for the CFA. I really don’t think it takes more than 50 hours of study to score 80+ on the 7. Remember, all you need is a 71 or w/e the passing score is now. Studying for a 90 is a waste of time.

Give me a few bucks for shipping and their yours, what’s your email (I live in Canada btw)? I haven’t used these in awhile, but they’re basically just lessons on cd, but could be worthwhile to just doze off too.

Spreads, email me at drbickerton at gmail dot com. Thanks

Spreads, Thanks for sending the audio hotsheets. They should def help.

Just for clarification, the 66 is only valid when paired with the 7 which need to be sponsored by a finra member firm. Most RIAs thus have to get the 65.