share your 'cfa > mba?' stories

There’s an analyst at the firm. Joined after getting her MBA from a local school. She’s still an analyst after 2.5 years. I studied for my CFA when I joined as an analyst. Now I am a senior associate. She’s now realizing the importance of the CFA charter and will be sitting for the December 2011 exam. I might go and do a part time MBA; but then I will see. I am not from the US and I heard many people have online distant MBA. So unless you are at a top top MBA school. who’s going to know.

whystudy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There’s an analyst at the firm. Joined after > getting her MBA from a local school. She’s still > an analyst after 2.5 years. > > I studied for my CFA when I joined as an analyst. > Now I am a senior associate. > > She’s now realizing the importance of the CFA > charter and will be sitting for the December 2011 > exam. > > I might go and do a part time MBA; but then I will > see. I am not from the US and I heard many people > have online distant MBA. > > So unless you are at a top top MBA school. who’s > going to know. I can tell you another story. I worked with a lot of crazy mofos that had MBA, CFA, MBA + CFA, MBA + CFA + CPA, etc. I don’t have the CFA or MBA yet my career progressed faster (SS ER -> AM) when compared to former colleagues. How? By building a good network. You guys can debate all you want CFA vs MBA but I would argue that if you’re good at what you do and can network well, this is > CFA or MBA. Personally, I don’t plan to pursue either. Good luck and to each their own…

kevin0118 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I find it odd that a research analyst, CFA > charterholder with 4 years of front office > experience would go back to business school. His > compensation should be at least the same level if > not higher than fresh MBA grads from Booth. His > career trajectory, should he chooses to stay in > finance, would be just the same. He also made a > decision to leave a job that many Booth MBAs would > fight to get, just to compete with the same group > of people for other jobs. > > Maybe he has a fetish with hedge funds and finds > mutual funds to be unsexy, but definitely the > outlier and not the norm. There are plenty of these types of people who choose to go to b-school. I know a guy at wharton who worked at t rowe price for 4 years before going to school. He interned this past summer at Wellington. I mean, think about it. Let’s say you’re working at a place like MSF, and a front-office investing/research role opens up at a place like citadel. That job will easily get hundreds of applicants. At a top b-school, however, you’re just competing against a small sub-set of your classmates in order to secure an interview. And given that you have the chance to talk face-to-face with these companies at recruiting events/mixers/career treks, etc., your edge becomes even bigger. Now, is all this worth the six-figure opportunity cost of attending? That’s totally up to the person in question. But in any case, no one I know who left a cushy buyside job for a top b-school has regretted his decision.

^^ this guy is obsessed with status obviously and hasnt made the cut. Successful people find ways to make it to the top with or without the MBA.

Does the debate over CFA vs. MBA change given the turmoil and uncertainty surrounding the MBA Lockout?

ksc1940 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There are plenty of these types of people who > choose to go to b-school. I know a guy at wharton > who worked at t rowe price for 4 years before > going to school. He interned this past summer at > Wellington. > > I mean, think about it. Let’s say you’re working > at a place like MSF, and a front-office > investing/research role opens up at a place like > citadel. That job will easily get hundreds of > applicants. At a top b-school, however, you’re > just competing against a small sub-set of your > classmates in order to secure an interview. And > given that you have the chance to talk > face-to-face with these companies at recruiting > events/mixers/career treks, etc., your edge > becomes even bigger. Now, is all this worth the > six-figure opportunity cost of attending? That’s > totally up to the person in question. But in any > case, no one I know who left a cushy buyside job > for a top b-school has regretted his decision. Once again, I disagree. You know how many investors/analysts conferences front office people go every year and how many front office PMs, directors they get to meet? Staying in the front office GUARANTEES you chance to spend at least 20 solid working days (thats 8 working hours, social lunch, open bar at the expense of sell side firm) every year with these the front office folks of many firms. I wouldn’t trade that for “recruiting” season where some 30 yr old alumni and an HR manager comes and ask you questions like “what is your greatest weakness?”

wake2000 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^^ > > this guy is obsessed with status obviously and > hasnt made the cut. Successful people find ways to > make it to the top with or without the MBA. agree

what now… OBE > MBA ?

once again, I have to cite this whole convo as one of the funniest CFA vs MBA moments… way to derail the thread.

No matter what designation you get you’ll have a top class compensation if you have a top class education. (That is if you live in a democracy.) (Edit: Whether certified or self-taught.)

Black Swan Wrote: > 1) Most of those guys treat it as 2 years of > vacation from the daily grind that they find a way > to rationalize > > 2) Network Only two reasons I will ever consider an MBA. Also, call me old fashioned, I will look for a program where avg. age >30 because I would be looking for peers and people with similar management experience.

“Being Born Wealthy > Being Jewish or WASPY > Born Pretty > Top 5 MBA > CFA > Avg MBA > Born middle class > Born lower class > Born in crack house > Born middleclass in Asia and working in IT but looking to switch to buyside” The funniest thing I’ve read all year, no lie…

I took CFA exams to break into finance. Now, when I’m in finance, I am planning to go for MBA to move out of finance.

Well, somebody explain to me why firms ban use of MBA behind people’s name. However, CFA are widely use.

they paid a lot of money for the mba, the least they can do is have it recognized cause most didn’t land the job they wanted…at least that is what i saw…

I told myself I wouldn’t respond to this thread but I’m so sick of hearing this. I have an MBA and am pursuing a CFA. I mentored and worked with a person with a CFA who entered my MBA program. I know another likely to do the same thing. There goes that theory. Other arguments I can address firsthand: 1. CFA is harder than an MBA because you have to work and study at the same time. Reality? For financial services they’re the same. A 1st year interested in finance pulls 90-100 weeks the same as a professional studying for the exam. 2. CFA dives deeper into the curriculum than an MBA. Reality? Depends on your major. Students write about some pretty obscure and esoteric topics in the upper level courses. 3. MBAs are overpaid, entitled, blah blah blah. I’m sure many are. I also see people every day who could benefit from taking a strategy class or two. 4. CFA is more respected. I would agree with to an extent, which is why i’m trying to earn one. However, it simply doesn’t matter in IBD. If anything, people will wonder why you had time to pursue it. CFA and MBA are separate things and are difficult in their own ways. I’m not sure why people are hating on an MBA. Validation?

both those things cease to matter a year after they’re done…i have met many douches with CFA, MBA or both. the only notable quality i see in MBAs are that they have better communication skills and get hotter babes. CFAs that I know are normally losers who can’t get classy babes.

So… the take-away is that MBA’s don’t have self control ? Sorry, couldn’t resist… ha But seriously now. You fit the mold exactly don’t you? you have an MBA and now going for the CFA. Just because you know 1 person (maybe 2) that are going the other way, so what? We’re not talking about an absolute 100% here, but the overall majority. You’ll always find that 1 example that defies the usual. big deal…