Shaving

A penny-farthing. I’ve owned one for over 35 years now. You can easily get up to 30-35 mph on one, and you’re sitting at the same level as the semi-truck drivers.

Anyone else here try Dollar Shave Club? I just tried it and I have to say that while I love the price, the blades are significantly crappier than the Mach 3 I’m used to.

I got some razors from Harry’s as a gift earlier this year, and I’ve been pretty impressed. Not sure how the price compares to Dollar Shave Club, but I like them much better than the Mach 3. Might be worth a shot.

That looks good, I’ll try that next, thanks

+10

The underside of the plastic blade container should have a slot for the disposed of blades. You simply slide it in. I don’t have the Derbys so I can’t guarantee that, but every box I’ve had has the disposal slot.

Aha. There is a slot. I didn’t know what it was for. Now I do.

Old thread and I didn’t read it all because I’m lazy, so excuse me if this is way off topic.

1. If you have one close to you, get a Royal Shave(or whatever the highest end package they have is) from The Art of Shaving. I do it once a year or once every 6 months and your face feels amazing when you’re done.

2. I’m a bit of a freak. I’m 32 and can’t grow a proper moustache, but I’ve had to shave my face since I was 11.

3. I have terribly sensitive skin, a beard that grows in thick, hard and quick, and zero desire to shave regularly. I try growing a beard in the winter months, but it requires that I dye my moustache so I don’t look like a pedophile, but I also don’t want to look like a guy that can’t grow a moustache.

4. I use a the gillette 3 blade disposable razors(sensor excel?) because I got tired of buying cartridges for my mach 3. I use some fancy super sensitive shaving cream stuff that my wife’s aunt sells at the salon/spa she runs. It’s amazing, and I sometimes just let it sit on my face because it feels so good. I’m guessing this is where the oils come in.

5. While doing some demo on a house one time, I watched a friend punch through the drywall in the kitchen. His hand went right through into the bathroom. When he pulled his arm out, he got cut dozens of times by used, rusty safety razors that someone was discarding in a slot in the wall. I assume he has AIDS now.

1. LOL

Somebody’s going to have to enlighten me on the mindset of the lifestyles of the rich and well-hung.

$80k on an A8 is okay. $15k on a Patek is okay. $3k on a suit is okay (if it has an Italian-sounding name). $5k on a pair of gila-monster boots is okay. $700 for a meal at a restaurant (including tip) is okay. $6k per month on a 500 square foot dungeon that you share with three friends is okay.

But spending $3.00 on a razor blade cartridge that will give you a comfortable shave, without cutting up your face, for at least two weeks is apparently not in the budget.

I was on a work trip earlier this week and forgot my trusty Mach 3 at home. I stagger to the front desk at 6am and manage to say razor. They handed me a plastic disposable 2 blade razor. I felt like I went back to what I imagine cave men used. Ugh.

Pretty simple: the double edged safety razor gives a substantially improved shave at a lower cost. Any rational informed person would adopt this. Essentially you’re buying a new Corolla for a price greater than you could get that A8.

I am surprised at the closeness of the shave I got. They have you thinking that 3 blades is better than 2, 4 blades is better than 3, 5 blades is better than 4. And all of these have certainly got to be better than a single blade.

But one blade did better than all of them. At least on me.

All my life, I’ve been thinking that razor cartridges are ridiculously expensive. It’s nice to feel you finally get some satisfaction on that kind of price gouging.

And besides, in 70 years, I’ll save up enough for a Patek Philippe!

I only use these to shave my nuts

And if you’re using a safety or straight razor, don’t forget to buy a styptic pencil. A quick dab on a cut and it stops bleeding almost instantly, Even with a cartridge I still cut occasionally, so I still have my old pencil.

Bchad inspired me to order a Safety Razor last night with this comment… I’ll be ordering my Breitling later this week based on the NPV of future savings.

You make less than $250k a year unlike the rest of AF. Therefore it’s understandable that you wouldn’t get it. Go count some beans.

Anyone use a shave cream heater?

I used electric when I first started shaving, but I’ve been using safety razors for the past eighteen years or so.

Just last week, I went back to electric. I want to look professional in my short-sleeve button-downs, but I get tired of shaving with my Fusion ProGlide every day. So far, I love it. Only takes two minutes (as opposed to ten) and doesn’t irritate my beautiful face nearly as much.

^ You do need to be well groomed for your door to door missions with brother Jeremiah