Should I take CFA exam as a commodity analyst?

Hi, everyone!

Right now, I worked as a grains analyst. I discuss grains supply & demand fundamentals, CME futures market technical analysis, trading strategies with our team members every day. And I also do some order trading execution of CME wheat futures.

I don’t want to be limited to grains market. Maybe in the future, I will shift to other investment areas.

So if I took CFA exams, would CFA association recognize my such work experiences? Because I saw a lot of CFAs are handling with portfolios and derivatives. Right now, I am quite far away from stock markets.

If you don’t take it as a commodities analyst, what else could you take it as?

I’ve got a few friends in energy trading that are going through the program and see the value in it.

Does your employer want you to take it? If not, I wouldn’t take it unless I was really motivated.

Since you clearly don’t want to stay in what you’re doing, i would def go for the CFA exams

Having the additonal designation certainly won’t hurt. If you do ultimatley make a move into a different area, having that broad understanding will be positive and it also shows that you have quite a bit of discipline to get through all three levels in a timely manner.

I recommend networking–maybe even cold calling some people in spots you may be interested in the future. Offer to buy them coffee / lunch.

I would not recommend doing the CFA without speaking to people closer to the stock market/any other market you may be interested in. Sounds like your gig would translate well into a lot of other markets, just may have to focus on company analysis in addition to the wider demand/supply it sounds like you are currently doing