Should the fed let states go bankrupt? cuomo weird flex

Well when it was first brought up, Cuomo was unaware of the policy although it was put in place by his health advisors. They tried to clear beds but I think its obvious that releasing covid into nursing homes under naive expectations that they were equipped to completely eliminate risk of a much worse breakout was letting the fox into the hen house. The homes themselves said pleas to not house the individuals were ignored. It was a bad policy, regardless of intent I don’t think there’s any real debate it contributed in a significant manner to the final body count.

I’ll take intelligent, targeted policy over heavy handed draconian measures any day. I generally liked Cuomo’s handling until this came out, but ultimately its hard to not see this as anything but a crucial epic mismangement.

lol i hate it when people say its the thought that counts. no. if you mess up imo you chose wrong and should be punished. lets not give free passes to ppl. new york had the most deaths per 100k at 91 vs the average at like 10. yall should vote him out.

Top rate analysis right there. Might want to do some reading on separating process and outcome. And of course the death rate has nothing to do with density, tourism, etc. right?

Ohh fun fact. I’ve actually seen density data on China. Had no correlation in terms of death per 100k and how dense a region was. Not sure on tourism but California has a lot of those, and we are nowhere near what happened to New York.

Yeah, there’s been a lot of articles and research out there on how NYC’s death rate boils down to mismanagement because density, external connection, scale and climate don’t explain the vast discrepancy vs comparable cities like London.

Process and outcome are clearly related, what sort of “top rate” medical analysis wouldn’t link those two? Geeebus.

It’s fun to watch the mental gymnastics (I’m sure there was a reason, lots of Monday morning quarterbacking, it wasn’t Cuomo’s intent) from the same folks that trash on DJT for the CDC’s failed batch of testing chemicals.

i was going to say stats dont lie. but honestly they do! i still believe he messed up new york is worst state

California acted earlier to close down public areas and encourage social distancing.

I hope I misunderstand your point about China. If you’re judging population density as a factor in infection spread by looking at official death rates, you also have to consider the draconian measures China went to in order to contain the virus. Plus the fact that any official metrics from Chinese government are highly suspect.

That’s a fair point but I think it’s unfair to say it’s Chinese so don’t trust it. I bet they say the same thing about us. To be honest everyone does things a. But differently. But in the us I bet there’s a lot more uniformity!

… Why do you think that?

Don’t get me wrong, all governments should be questioned rather than trusted implicitly. But governments that quell unrest by crushing their own citizens with tanks and then pressure washing the remains down sewers are especially suspect.

a brutal person doesnt make you dishonest. duterte for example is a straight shooter. quite literally.

the figure is now up to 39%
Nursing Homes & Assisted Living Facilities Account for 39% of COVID-19 Deaths

Thank God they refused to change the policy to save face.

We were discussing New York State’s share of nursing home deaths, not U.S. The fact that per your data source, NYS is among the lowest states in percentage of nursing home deaths kind of goes against your argument, doesn’t it?

lol :broken_heart:

is cuomo an idiot? he tells people to look to the numbers. new york is prolly the hardest hit state. most cases most deaths. granted the new ones are low now. but thats because he sucked at containing it from the start.

this is not what bending hte curve looks like. this dude poorly led his state. no cap.

this is cali. which is the first place to shut down. we never got overwhelemd cuz we didnt have cuomo.