Side gigs

High school chem teacher with terminal cancer.

Hahaha, good one!

I’m curious: how do people generate leads for their side gigs? Word of mouth? Advertising?

I had an online art gallery many years ago, but my partner didn’t hold up his end and it folded before ever actually launching.

BACK IN BUSINESS BABY!

Off topic but nana takes the most heat from anyone on this site because deep down, subconsciously, we all want to sleep with her and this is the manner in which some people express their interest.

^Yeah. It’s kinda like 3rd grade, where when you’re mean to a girl that really means that you like her.

Through friends!

A lot of my friends work in fashion/ beauty/ photography/ publishing, and they always want people to help out. That’s how i start, and then once you make some initial contacts, more people will find you…

I love getting free products to try~

:slight_smile:

HAHA, is that why guys pick on ugly fat girls in school?

(i didn’t have that experience since i went to all girls school)

I’m actually looking into starting a side gig. It would be nice to have a couple extra $$ at the end of the month. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about doing financial analysis for individual investors.

Would be a fun idea, but how would you get the work? Advertising? Etc? I’ve thought about this one too but just haven’t found a good launching platform.

My thought process has always been to use my finance career as a means to fund my materialistic needs - i’m competitive and greedy - and thus i need to keep up with the joneses. Having said that, my side gigs have been persuits of passion and hobbies that I hope take off. So as to ideas for second jobs, I would recommend doing something you enjoy. As for financial analysis for individual investors, unless you truly enjoy this work, i wouldnt recommend it because their budgets are truly strapped. If they are affluent, the are most likely using their capital to employ people like you in your main job.

Yeah this is the problem. To do a decent analysis is going ot take time and it’s going to be damn hard to find someone willing to pay you adequately for that time. People hate writing cheques for professional services. One of those sad facts of life.

• Premium Partnership Program: Authors can now monetize their exposure on Seeking Alpha by earning income every time their articles are read on Seeking Alpha. Far above the industry standard, we pay $10 per thousand page views for exclusive articles that are selected for publication. Learn about how to join the Premium Partnership Program here.

Is that the compensation scheme? How did you make $1,000-2,000 a month on that, if you are able to comment?

My understanding of SeekingAlpha – and I know a lot of people who post there – is that around half the people seem to be just pump and dumping random garbage stocks. The other half are mostly people who don’t know what they are talking about (I’m not lumping you into that group, but for example, look at the amateur hour in something like AAPL). The third group, which might be part of the pumpers group, is people who are down on a stock and desperately hoping for a rebound by bringing “new information” to the market and trying to suck in some fools.

If I want to figure out who owns a stock and why, I will go to SA first – if there are tons of pumpy articles, it’s either paid touts by the company or dumb retail investors, e.g., UNXL (so fail). I always prefer, all else equal, that whatever I am about to short has lots of bad SA articles.

I personally have never posted there, but it would take me about 15 minutes to write 500 words (if that) on a stock I already follow, so might as well get paid and pump it… err, help the market out… at the same time.

^ Yo Geo, are you new 'round AF Water Cooler? We ought to have an initiation into the brothahood. Answer the questions below as best you can.

1. CFA vs MBA?

2. Do you feel pitching 77 MPH in Little League is like 100 MPH in the Major Leagues?

3. When was the last time you cleaned your colon?

4. What was the tier of your undergrad?

5. Do you happen to work in IB, ER, or PE at a top tier firm?

6. Do you own a rusty hacksaw by chance?

7. What’s your take on strip clubs?

8. How was the service at your latest trip to MCD?

This question is unfair because everyone knows these two are identical based on the difference in the distance and curviture of the mound in LL vs. MLB.

Some Seeking Alpha writers probably write for money without regard to the quality of the articles. If I know people are going batshit about Twitter IPO, maybe I will write some sensationalist article with a gripping headline so I can get my $10 per 1000 views. Then, repeat for other stocks. Come to think of it, this is probably how most news websites work…

That’s it, $10/1,000 page views. Normally my articles would get about 7.5-12k pageviews, so $75-125 per piece.

Like I said though, this was a small piece of my work. The vast majority was from writing for publications and doing some ghost writing. Some industry surveys and stuff have been ghostwritten by me. I initially found some clients through contacts and a couple through Elance and the rest have been word of mouth.

Could I do $2k a month just on SA? Maybe. But the articles have to be reasonable quality or they run the risk of being rejected (then you get $0… only happened once to me and I revised it and it was accepted). I genuinely found it difficult to find more than a couple good ideas I could write about coherently and back up with reasonable basis. If I tried this full time I think I could get more creative, but as a part-time thing, it was hard to generate idea flow.

Bingo. I think the way advertising pays for clicks it’s more about drawing someone in than getting them to read the entire thing too. If you’re writing to make money just tell people what they want to hear.

That’s it, $10/1,000 page views. Normally my articles would get about 7.5-12k pageviews, so $75-125 per piece.

[/quote]

Thanks, I assume you were mainly writing about large cap stocks? A lot of the stocks I end up investing in have no articles for years and <100 people on the SA alert list, so I think I would have a lot of difficulty reaching even 5,000 views (regardless of article quality). I mainly specialize in finding “invisible” stocks that the market has a hard time seeing until the earnings grow, so actually SA might be a great distribution platform in a sense, but it’s a chicken and egg problem.

Well that certainly would explain some of the quality issues the site faces.