SILLY mistakes when you did the mock/ CFA AM

+100 internets to you. All the talk about reading the question carefully. Goes double for reading the answer as well.

RTFQ is right!

My 2 cents. 1. Cashflow matching is the clumliest, safest, low cost and restrictive most of all. By defn. It is a 1:1 matching and has 0 duration. ML on the other hand is not a 1:1 matching but is based on weighted dur match. 2. CF has near 0 re risk coz u can not earn less than Rf. ML has significant re risk. 3. The downside of CF matching is the tremendous amt. Of cash drag it creates. But as seen, we can have CF on or before a particular liab is due and forget abt. the same. Not so with ML. Hope the above makes some sense.

My 2 cents. 1. Cashflow matching is the clumliest, safest, low cost and restrictive most of all. By defn. It is a 1:1 matching and has 0 duration. ML on the other hand is not a 1:1 matching but is based on weighted dur match. 2. CF has near 0 re risk coz u can not earn less than Rf. ML has significant re risk. 3. The downside of CF matching is the tremendous amt. Of cash drag it creates. But as seen, we can have CF on or before a particular liab is due and forget abt. the same. Not so with ML. Hope the above makes some sense.

^^^

i agree with everything you say, except for CF matching being low cost.

I thought CF matching is expensive due to the many many bonds it requires?

^

I had the same opinion, but I rechecked, they have low cost becasue they dont require any rebalancing. The many bonds required increases the investment amount.