Slow Reading Study Session 6-8

The repetition in texts actually helps cement this stuff, assuming you can refrain from falling asleep - I’m intermittently successful with that … which is what makes cave studying an issue.

badbeat88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Here is my quick analysis of reading the CFA text. > There are roughly 2200 hundred pages in the CFA > text. I can read about 30-40 pages in a 2 hour > period. Start now and Do this everyday and you > can be finished reading the text in about 63 days > or early-mid March assuming a little more time for > problems a few days off etc… . This leaves > plenty of time to go through Scwheser notes, > videos and practice problems AND you have a very > solid foundation to build off of so the Schweser > notes will be much easier to understand, go > through. I’m not risking anything being left out > of the notes this year (especially since we are on > the home stretch). I have the same plan but backwards - reading Schweser first gives me a good understanding of everything and so reading CFAI afterwards starts earlier than mid-March and goes a lot quicker. This also makes it easier to notice what Schweser left out.

maratikus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfasf1 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > oh yeah. and maratikus too. i’m going to my > cave. > > cave is the best place to study for the exams. i > am going to study in my cave too. Just built my cave last night… I had to put a small desk our coat closet in order to cut myself off from the outside world. I’m reading the CFAI text first, hope to finish by the end of this month. After that I am 100% Schweser + CFAI practice problems. I considered skipping the CFAI text for L3, but decided against it because the CFAI text strategy has has worked well for me in L1 - L2. I guess I want to minimize the amount of regret that I would feel from failing due to my decision to deviate from the normal path. This may not be a return optimizing strategy. Also, I wasn’t very impressed by the Schweser guy’s attitude regarding the curriculum when he taught a review coarse at the local CFAI society last May. I came to the scary conclusion that those guys really don’t know what’s going to be on the exam. All they can do is guess based upon their own interpretations of the LOS statements.

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i hear you guys. i read like a 3rd grader so it > takes me forever to get through the readings. i > did all of ethics and pwm in the texts before i > sold out and went to schweser. it just makes me > nervous to hear that guys like plyon and mwvt are > going to the books because they are “scared”. if > they’re scared, i should hiding in a cave and > sobbing. I am scared because the test seems different this time. I am concerned that the essay format and more qualitative bent will not suit me. The fact that only 50% of candidates pass level 3, when only the best are getting there also makes my stomach hurt. If I would have had the time at level 2, I would have gone through the texts and then schweser. All of that being said, I didn’t do any reading tonight. I am not fully in study mode yet, but I am getting close. I kind of hate it, but I kind of like it too.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Just built my cave last night… I had to put a > small desk our coat closet in order to cut myself > off from the outside world. > I did all of my studying for level 2 at a small desk in my bedroom. After the exam I would just stare at that desk. It bothered me. It was like frustration in the form of a piece of furniture. It didn’t take long before I got rid of it. Now I have to go out and get a desk again. I am an idiot.

mcleod’s going to come out of that cave and freaking dominate too… and that’s the thing. hard to imagine a 50% pass rate with this group. unless there are some people not on this forum that aren’t as motivated… btw, the cave would actually be a good idea. i’m finding myself getting distracted at starbucks. i seriously need a cave. an empty conference room might have to suffice.

We are all going to dominate this beotch. The group from L2 kicked some serious a$$ last June (with a few unfortunate exceptions). I expect more of the same for 2009. Spring is just around the corner…

cfasf1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > btw, the cave would actually be a good idea. i’m > finding myself getting distracted at starbucks. i > seriously need a cave. an empty conference room > might have to suffice. My wife tried to send me to Starbucks once to study. Between the music and the chatting, it was louder than a freakin’ bar in there! Never again. Haven’t found a library yet here in Pittsburgh that’s close and to my liking (also needs long hours). So for now I’m coming into work at 5:45 AM and getting in an hour in the AM as well as what I can squeeze in during the evenings. Now… .back to my window-less conference room…

i think some of u guys are spending too much time on this my plan is like cfasf1 just read schweser and do txtbk q’s… if reading once is not enough i ll just read twice, i think even reading schweser twice is significantly less time than going thru the text once and at the same time retain more materials…

monki Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i think some of u guys are spending too much time > on this > My wife agrees.