So I actually got a call back....

Remember that your points don’t have to be original to be good ones (I have trouble with that and sometimes need to remind myself that I can still invest on a thesis that I didn’t think up myself). The key is that you have applied thought to someone else’s argument and find it solid. Preferably you also have an understanding of where the weaknesses of the argument are and what you need to watch out for before being tempted to reverse your decision.

Hopefully it’s not too late for this (at least going forward) – been on vacation and just your post. Have a look at this article…think you’ll find it helpful. This was Part 2 in a four-part series called “Hedge Fund Case Studies 101” in Mergers and Inquisitions, entitled “Hedge Fund Case Studies 101, Part 2: How to Research, Structure, and Present Your Stock Pitch”

www.mergersandinquisitions.com/hedge-fund-case-studies-part-2-research-structure-stock-pitch

Also, in general whenever someone asks you what you’d do if you had $1 million (or whatever arbitrary quantity of money) and how you’d invest it, you should definitely and quite easily say you’d put it behind your top conviction idea. That’s what the interviewer is going for most of the time…certainly that’s the answer I’m looking for when I’m asking potential candidates this question

In any case, it’s never too late to improve…the “SPDR” response wasn’t strong but at least you were honest, and I think it’s a fair point that you haven’t figured out how to beat the markets yet. If the rest of your interview went well, you thought you did well on your stock pitches and didn’t fail the “airport” test, you might still be in the running.

Good stuff woody! Hopefully you’ll get it, keep us posted.

BTW, do you mind sending me the stuff that iteracom and whatsyourgovt sent you? I have an interview on Monday; Boutique ER firm, I would just be volunteeting there on a part time basis so I can learn the business and make some great industry connections.

I was going to say something about risk/return and arrogance but then I saw that the interviewer asked for a single stock.

So I’d definitely answer w/ what Numi said.

How’d you get your current job then?

generally, the higher up you go, the less technical questions you’ll get.

But if you still meeting with analyst’s, then sure you can get technical day-to-day stuff

WOODY WHAT ARE YOU DOING LET THEM KNOW!!!

Be polite about it of course but this is the ULTIMATE leverage.

Say something along the lines of “I really liked speaking with XYZ and your firm and would be excited to work for firm. I just received an offer from a competing firm which I have to respond by ABC.”

I’m sure other people on AF have been in this situation before (I haven’t) but I can guarantee that this is the BEST situation to be in. When interviewing for my current firm I let them know I was in a third round w/ a competing firm and they upped my offer as a result.

If you went in for 2 interviews, it’s courtesy for them to at least let you know if they chose someone else.

I agree with aznxuguy’s advice - definitely not a bad position to be in!

I also have an ER O&G interview next week. Does anyone have any reading material / old research reports they could email me? I would sincerely appreciate it, my email is birdec@gmail.com.

^Keep trucking. I had an initial screening interview last week, and turned out it was not really for the position advertised. HR just wanted to get a feel for me and load me up in the database I think.

Had a 30 minute conversation, so it was good practice at least.