So i got a Job Offer....But.....

Take it but I would guess the offer will be about $40k. If they offer lower then you can always attempt negotiation to a slightly higher level. I would attempt a little negotiation either way. You’ve been offered the job, are already in the job, and have performed well for the past six months. Yes the market sucks…but the manager wants to keep you in the position and does not want to have to go back to the temp agency for anohter fresh clueless face whom they will need to train all over again. You’re dealing with HR who has a range they can offer. Be confident and mention that the range you would expect would be between $41k and $52k, or whatever. They’ll likely come back with a slightly higher level. And of course remember all those benfits are worth additional amounts (i.e. tuition reimbursement, 401k match, vacation days). You might even attempt to negotiate a sign on bonus which might come out of a different pocket at the company. Let us know how it turns out. I’d be very suprised if they offer yo less than the $18 hr.

Take it. A job is better than no job. You can still keep and eye for other options, but at least you’ll have what to pay rent from…

Take it. Beggars can’t be choosers.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I didn’t even read your post. Job offer… January > 2009… take it. Hmm… Interesting point. All of your suggestions are awesome. I also think 40k is a good minimum, since they WILL be paying overtime and such. I just wish i knew how these things worked! Im scheduled to meet with the HR lady on wednesday. Im assuming she will write an offer on a napkin and slide it over the table. and ask me to do the same. Then she will take my napkin, light it on fire, throw it in the garbage and say something like “do you want to work? or no?” and then proceed to yell obscene things at me.

UPDATE**** So i was offered 41k. Which i think its OKAY (kinda had my heart set at 43 for some odd reason) but it does pay time and a half for overtime so thats pretty cool. They told me to think about it over the weekend and get back to them on tuesday. Few things, they JUST laid off a TON of permanent full timers, and i’ve heard there is people who have been temping there for 2 years and THEY got laid off too. So to have the position right now is LUUUCKY. BUT i can see why they need me though. Im in charge of fixing some of the accounts that have been bad for sooo long that the investment managers are getting completely pissed because their year end books are screwed up. And right now, IM the only one that knows what caused the problem and how to fix it. And to explain it to someone else would be time consuming, so the managers are counting on me to fix a SH!* storm from turning into Tsunami. And because my contract was to expire in just a few weeks, they definitely want to keep me around because im turning out to be one of their better employees (its a small team, maybe 15+, and im already top 5). So why am i still writing? Well… because i know a guy started last year and im absolutely sure he gets paid in the 50s. Do you think i can ask to maybe, keep my salary the same now but in a year to have it aligned to the average of their top performing members? Would it be asking for too much? Like, i know that right NOW if i was to leave they would be F’d in the A. They have made it very clear. Opinions?

Go ahead and ask for 43. Not in a demanding way though. And the economic climate was much better a year ago then it is now. The odds of you getting 43 if you ask are pretty high. And the odds of still being able to accept 41 if they reject 43 are also very high. It’s very unlikely they’ll show you the door for asking for 2K more.

f2d Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go ahead and ask for 43. > > Not in a demanding way though. > > And the economic climate was much better a year > ago then it is now. > > The odds of you getting 43 if you ask are pretty > high. > > And the odds of still being able to accept 41 if > they reject 43 are also very high. It’s very > unlikely they’ll show you the door for asking for > 2K more. Haha. Don’t listen to this guy!

What’s wrong with asking for 2k more? If they say no then you take the 41, it’s not like they’re going to turn around and say get out because you asked for more.