software engineer work experience

Hi I am having 5 years of experience as software engineer in middle office in financial firm. Anyone aware if cfa considers such experience in eligliblity for membership

i cant possibly imagine why they would reject it

Maybe because it would not directly be involved in an investment process?

I wonder how many people pass L3 and then have to wait years to get the charter? Or never get it?

ATH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wonder how many people pass L3 and then have to > wait years to get the charter? > > Or never get it? ill have to wait about 6 months if i pass before i have the requesite experience…but then again im only 27

^ I guess I’m wondering about how many people fall into the categories of 1) passed L3 at about age 22/23 with <2 yrs of experience [or] 2) passed L3 but work in a totally non-investment field.

I got my software developer work experience approved yesterday! Doesn’t matter much, as I would have my 48th month of financial advising behind me this August, but it was nice to know that a computer job that I hated but took specifically for CFP work experience counted for both CFP and CFA. I basically wrote algorithms to detect/calculate a bunch of technical indicators and code to display them on charting data, though I gave a longer and more detailed writeup in my profile.

congratulations gjertsen!! all the best to you

does experience in corporate finance(no involvement in investment process) consider for membership?

gjertsen, I have a very similar background to you and am getting ready to submit my work experience to the CFA Institute. I had a question or two for you … if you don’t mind taking a few minutes to exchange a few emails - would you email me at jerryleemcclellan@hotmail.com? Thanks, JLM