STUDY PLAN

mik82 Look for “Applying Instructional Materials Statements” document on the GARP website if you already registered for the exam. You have to fill a form on this link http://www.garp.com/frmexam/aimstatements.aspx. It’s very similar to CFAI LOS. If you haven’t yet register for the exam, you can fill another form on this link http://www.garp.com/frmexam/studyguide.aspx, and they will email to you the FRM 2009 study guide. Purchasing books is optional and is not included in your registeration, you may elect in the process of registeration to buy books as well and they will charge you for both of the books and registeration at the end of registeration process. Also you may look at the Financial Risk Manager Handbook to get an idea about the curriculum. Check the contents of the book on amazon.com.

@Adam2009. Thanks for your input. I just took level2 CFA in June09 but also want to get FRM since it can complement/help CFA studies. I used Schweser for CFA and Institute txtbooks for the exam, what do you suggest for FRM level 1? I am thinking Schweser+free material offered by GARP but nothing more. Thanks

what free GARP material are you referring to?

mik82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @Adam2009. Thanks for your input. I just took > level2 CFA in June09 but also want to get FRM > since it can complement/help CFA studies. I used > Schweser for CFA and Institute txtbooks for the > exam, what do you suggest for FRM level 1? I am > thinking Schweser+free material offered by GARP > but nothing more. Thanks I counted the pages for FRM Exam Full and found them over 4000. For me, it is impossible to read all FRM assigned readings, however I may refer to any of them if I found Schweser insufficient in cretain topics. I am also planning to read the Handbook.

Adam, have you taken the test before (since you mentioned you found Schweser insufficient). If so, dont you think one can buy or refer to only the portion where Schweser is insufficient. Also, what would be the % of the topics not fully covered by Schweser. For example if its less than 5%, I wont mind not knowing the 5% but known the remaining 95% well with Schweser. In whcih case, going through 700+ pages for 5% or so wont make sense in my opinion. Thanks for your input.

SalZ, I have not taken the exam before, so I don’t know if Schweser is sufficient or not. I sould have said find instead of found. I am planning to refer to GARP assigned readings in case I find Schweser not sufficient on any topic. I totally agree with your point of view.

When you sign up for the exam, do you get any readings/material for free or have to purchase everything? GARP website is so confusing, it seems they dont have books on their own (like CFA) but they refer to other authors for txts/books.

mik82 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > When you sign up for the exam, do you get any > readings/material for free or have to purchase > everything? GARP website is so confusing, it seems > they dont have books on their own (like CFA) but > they refer to other authors for txts/books. Yes, after you sign up for the exam you would be able to download some free readings in pdf format. All assigned readings are either from text books or published articles. If you are interested, I provided a link where you can download an excel sheet showing all GARP readings by Author, Book Title, Topic and no. of pages on another post on this forum.

Hi Adam 2009, can you please provide the link of the excel sheet that you are talking about…

prolinjb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi Adam 2009, > > can you please provide the link of the excel sheet > that you are talking about… http://frm-2009.blogspot.com/

hey guys, IMHO, unless you have plenty of time. You need to rely on Schweser (i do not know about the bionic turtle). I first started with Jorion in Aug 08 and it was too difficult to digest material from it so I just fucked nearly two weeks and was a bit depressed. Then Schweser notes arrived and I was more ok then not.

Can you use strictly Schweser to prepare for the exam? It doesn’t seem too appealing to have to dig around for all of the required readings.

I did FRM with Schweser only after CFA level 1. I was not able to absorb Jorion.

@ YeeS Like others even I dont like the idea of digging around different materials for every topic I am using schweser but also am reading Jorion ,Bionic turtle and some topics core readings like Gujarati and Hull just to overcome fear and gain confidence I get bogged down with some questions and feel fearful even though they are easy . Besides time is a constant factor for all because GARP comes up with study guide only by June and study materials are not available before mid june to july end so even a person who has all the time it takes 600 + hrs of commitment to read entirely the core readings and Jorion . what is the kind of accuracy needed to pass according to you

I was just curious, I have signed up for the Nov 09 exam and bought the schweser materials. after looking of the practive exam book i thought it wouldnt be that bad. Then i looked at the sample questions provided on the GARP website. Those were extremely difficult. can anyone who took the test provide some insight??? Are the schweser questions comprable to the actual exam??

Last year they included tons of real FRM questions from pervious years in the back of each Schweser subject book… look to those for guidence.